It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Repairing the odometer on a mn-12  (Read 4316 times)

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
Repairing the odometer on a mn-12
« on: February 13, 2007, 10:01:28 PM »
Fixing the MN-12 Odometer

The MN-12 odometer is notorious for not lasting verry long... anytime after 100,000 miles, and it's gone. there are several alternatives;a new one for over $250 , last check, A used junkyard piece (whole cluster) about 50 bucks, but nut gonna last very long, go figure.the way were going to fix'um, is replace the faulty part...Its a teensey lil gear that lets go... heat in florida helps fatigue it, but its a :censor: poor design from VDO (you'd think they would know better) Here's the replacement gear;

Doesnt look like much, for $28 ?? But HEY! its a 20 tooth thingy, go figure.
I got it atSouthern Electronics Inc .
Richmond, VA.
(804)4232-1100

Exchanging, or repairing it there, will take more time, and go over a hundred bucks, so I thought I would explore how it can be done, and share it with everyone who might be interested. Face it I was curious. After pulling the cluster, remove 7 torx head screws (use a T-10 bit);

Once youve pulled the face plate and black surround, the speedo head is separated from the cluster by carefully prying the speedo head off (its a gentle press fit) Now we get into the nutz and bolts............. next, loosen the face plate with 3 phillips heads, but do not remove.........

Ok , now before completely removing the screws, you need to dissassemble the Odo Reset shaft.... Unscrew the larger  part,

ok, then pull the spring retainer apart as per below;

Once thats out of the way, the speed indicator can be removed .... Its a press fit, and you need to turn beyond the stops and lift simeltaneously (no pic) caution, first find out where the limits are on the mph scale, as youll have to reposition it manually at reassembly.....remrmber the 3 phillips screwsw on the backside of the face? well now its time to take them out., remove the speedo face, and pull the electrical connector shown below;

that clears access to one of the two remaining phillips head scdrews on the right side as the head faces you..... Then  the parts look kinda like this as you pop the little servo motor and gear cluster;

Pull the gears off the servo; heres the broken gear and the new upgrade

Heres what it looks like with the new gear in;

Reassemble in reverse order and youre good to go for over a hundred thousand miles for sure!
(piece of cake!)

'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Repairing the odometer on a mn-12
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 07:58:19 PM »
Good stuff!!!  I did not think an guy with fingers as bg as your could work with such small stuff???   ::)
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 10:21:32 PM »
Yup, its kinda tough, but the hands are still relatively steady, and I have these 7'' long tweezers that work pretty good ;D
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 02:57:23 PM »
Yup, its kinda tough, but the hands are still relatively steady, and I have these 7'' long tweezers that work pretty good ;D
No I will not go there! :happy:
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 03:32:58 PM »
No I will not go there! :happy:

Yup, thats actually a good idea, LOL
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 08:23:04 PM »
Good Tech :jake:,
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 08:41:03 PM »
Thanx..... I was wracking my brain to figure a way to pull the  speedo without pulling the whole cluster, and it just may be possible to lever it out with a small (mini)wrecking bar, thus saving some dissassembly, as long as the plastic window and black trim shroud are removed..... but I dunno.... I did this on a spare cluster, anticipating the next odo failure,LOL
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

Gold Cougar

• Match Box
    • The Ford Family
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 02:54:27 PM »
Nice write up :jake:O0
1994 Cougar XR7
3.8l