It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: picking up 95 Cougar later in the week need some ideas  (Read 2077 times)

cougardoc

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
  • 86 midnight wine metalic clearcoat
picking up 95 Cougar later in the week need some ideas
« on: March 08, 2009, 04:12:40 PM »
I ran into a light bronze (chanpane) colored 95 Cougar with dark green int. Has good 3.8 L but bad trans. body is near damage free very straight no rust.  The int. is being changed to a light beige int. I found in a local yard. Looking for ideas as to what motor to put in it ,keep the 6 and fix trans. change to a 5.0 or 4.6/5.4? Not sure what is involved in changing a 95 to 5.0 or 4.6/5.4, I know 93 and below the 5.0 isn't a big problem and the 95 had the 4.6 option available but not sure what is needed to convert the 95, never delt with one this new. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
to many toys not enough time

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
Re: picking up 95 Cougar later in the week need some ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 06:58:31 PM »
DO A SEARCH AT TCCOA :pilot:  OR SCCOA :pilot:  MAYBE MN12 :flex:  AS THEY SHOULD HAVE THE PIC'S ON WHATTO DO :first:  IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE IT :doh:  JUST GET TRANS ON ANY SITE 8)  AROUND 200.00 :afto2:  AND 200.O0 TO INSTALL  :schh: THEN YOU CAN TAKE YOUR TIME ON WHAT TO DO  8)
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 09:23:36 PM »
:curley: :curley: :curley:, you always say do a search.  Bla you do not need to search I can help out here.  You outta start doing the same.  We all know you have the skillz.  You are simply a laid back typer...

The 95 3.8LNA  has a weaker transmission than the 4.6L, has less of a rear and the wiring is different.  To upgrade you will need to swap out the wiring harness, transmission, drive shaft and rearend.  It is easier to start with a 4.6L!

The 94+ cars can be upgraded to 4.6L and the older cars can be upgraded to 5.0L and 351W's.  So with the 95 and you have some money you minus well go for the 4.6L DOHC.  It will cost the same as the 4.6L upgrade and be easier to make more HP!

Best bet is to find a mark VIII in the bone yard and go swap happy!   :curtsey:

If you want more info do not worry unlike FF I have all the info you will need...    :bdth:
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 01:22:17 AM »
I would keep the 3.8L and supercharge it and get a 4r70w with a j mod transmission. It will be cheaper than going the other route. May I ask why another Cougar? Is it because of the one your wife totalled.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

cougardoc

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 11:20:24 AM »
Hey :miller: any info on the 4.6 swap would be great I figured the 95 would be easier to do the 4.6 swap since they stoped putting the 5.0 in them in 93.

Hi RJ none of my Cougars have been wrecked, my Mark VII was  :'(, anyway figured I would grab the Cougar because it is in very good shape and only costing $300.00 not like I need another project  :doh: but what the heck.

FASTFREDDIE

• Nascar
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:11:53 PM »
LIKE I SAID  :afto2: IF YOU WANT TO USE NOW !!!  :pilot: GO THE QUIK WAY  ;D YOU STILL CAN GET ALL THE PARTS YOU NEED  :clap: PLUS INFO TO CHANGE IT OUT :naww:  THEN SELL THE MOTOR & TRANS 3.8 TOGETHER FOR AROUND 400.00 + OR - :flex:  WHEN YOU SWITCH OVER TO WHAT EVER 8)  ALSO THE WRECKED MARK VII  :embr: ARE ANY PARTS GOOD FOR THE SWITCH??? :first: :moe: TALKS LIKE YOU'RE CHANGING A LITE BULB :afit: :afit: :afit:  YOU KNOW SCREW IT IN SCREW IT OUT :lunie: :lunie: :schh: :schh: IN THE REAL WORLD THINGS DON'T GO THAT EASY  :doh: :doh: ASK RJSTAT  :embr: :'( AS HE'S STILL INTO HIS PROJECT   :hide: BTW :moe: CLAIMS TO BE AN ENGINEER  :o AND THEY DREAM THINGS  :clap: THEN ASK THE WORKERS TO MAKE THEM  :first: :bow1: :king:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:57:18 PM by J.Miller »
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:54:33 PM »
Ha ha...  You think RJ choked on us...   :butterfly:

Well....  You are gonna need the engine, transmission, drive shaft, rear-end, wiring harness and EEC.  It will bolt in.  Here is an overview:

The 95 transmission sucks.  You will be better off getting a newer 4R70W like a 1999-2000 4R70W Mustang or CrownVic to start with.  If you do there are some 95 components you need to keep to make the swap work.  Let me know what year you end up with and I will clarify.

The 94/ 95 EEC is one of the easiest to program.  95 has a better program.  It has less features than newer EEC's and is much easier to make power with than the newer ones with all that extra junk added in...  So I would stay with that year EEC and find an EEC tuner to do the job.

The 95-97 4.6L engine is weak.  A 99-2004 Mustang PI engine is a strong starting point.  A HPS 4.6L intake and some trick-flow heads/ cams will wake her up.  You can get shortie headers but long-tube headers are much better and not much more...  True dual exhaust is a must and can be had for around $600.

If you can find a 93-98 Mark-VIII 58.20" lg drive-shaft get it.  The 93 drive-shaft is the best one to get since it is a one piece.  But the 2 piece 94+ are cool...

All 93-98 Mark-VIII rear-ends are aluminum where thunderbirds are all steel.  Plus they have better half shafts.   Why mess around grab the whole rear end and swap over the Cougar springs shocks...  Check the rear-end code on the drivers side door jam:

• 8...2.73:1 Conventional or open differential
  • M...2.73:1 Traction-Lok
  • Y...3.08:1 Conventional
  • Z...3.08:1 Traction-Lok
  • 5...3.27:1 Conventional
  • E...3.27:1 Traction-Lok
  • W5...3.27:1 Conventional
  • XE...3.27:1 Traction-Lok

Traction-Lok is the one to find.  But a conventional can be upgraded...

After you are all done you may have to get a better radiator...   :wink:

The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

FASTFREDDIE

• Nascar
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 09:22:51 PM »
WHAT JUST MATCH UP THE PIECES  :o  A TO B  :-X 1 TO 2  :'( OR MAYBE A COLOR CODE SYSTEM :clap:  WILL BE BETTER  :doh:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 12:57:06 AM »
Sorry cougardoc it was a long day when I posted ans was thinking :miller: got another 95 Cougar. As for choking I think not I know only to well the expense of doing an engine swap. The 99 - 04 Mustang 4.6L are hard to find a good one 02 - 04 4.6L from a Explorer which is a PI motor and it is cheaper than the Mustang. 
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

FASTFREDDIE

• Nascar
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 12:48:14 PM »
LIKE POPEYE  :flex: SAID " I YAM WHAT I YAM " SO NO MORE TO SAY :pilot:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »
I hate to say it but it seems that our :freddie: has finally lost his mind.   :boom:

What I told you is based on fact not theory.  Many people have tied the various swaps I mentioned and have succeeded.  It is possible.  So ask your questions...

FASTFREDDIE

• Nascar
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »
BETTER FORGET ANYTHING OTHER THAN STOCK  :'( AS MANY CARS LAWS ARE BEING PUSHED THRU AS WE SPEAK  :surr:  IN FACT MANY STATES ARE NOW SAYING LIKE FOR LIKE ONLY THE NEWER THE CAR THE HARD IT WILL BE TO MEET THE THE NEW LAWS '''' IT SEEMS AS THERE'S A PUSH :-X  TO MAKE EVERYONE BUY NEW CARS TO HELP OUT  :doh:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 06:21:24 AM »
Exactly, isn't it funny how they cover up the true purpose for making the law with smoke and mirrors? Yup, they want to to throwaway your perfectly good car and spend thousands more on a new car.

I love to buy a new car but I can not afford the monthly payments.  I can get a car, fix it up and make it into a daily driver for a few thousand.  It costs much more to get a new car.   >:(

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 05:24:28 PM »
I'm going that route now with Tstats. They think if they make it hard for you to comply then you will go out and buy new. The more new cars they sell the more people go back to work. The scrap metal guys are going to make all the money. 
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

cougardoc

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 10:25:10 PM »
Thanks for the info. guys but I am going to have to pass on getting the car anyway due to getting laid off today so that takes care of any new projects, at least I have enough parts collected to finish some of the others.