It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: How to make a 5.4L SOHC Bullitt Intake!!!  (Read 5966 times)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
How to make a 5.4L SOHC Bullitt Intake!!!
« on: November 19, 2006, 06:54:56 AM »
The following is the history of the Bullitt intake build we went through this year...

.  A 5.4L intake is 1.5" wider than a stock 4.6L Bullitt intake.  My existing intake has un-equal length runners and forces me to have 20% more fuel on one side than the other...

I plan to adapt the Bullitt intake for my 5.4L Cougar...

I have this upper half of a 5.4L Bullitt intake that was made in FRP that I will re-create in aluminum.   This intake ran for a year or so but it has some cracks in the resin and the owner is upgrading to a 5.4L DOHC so he no longer wants it...  Lucky me!

The Bullitt runners will be welded in and wall-ah an all metal 5.4L SOHC Bullit intake.  Sounds simple??? :doh:

The picture below is from a MasterCAD scanning machine. It was digitally scanned in from the actual part.

The hole on the left is for my air intake. The little holes are for the Bullitt intake runners.

I will be doing the CAD work myself.  If it works I will have the CAD program and will be able to make duplicates.

I plan to finish the project before spring...   Now I time to figure out how...  :-X

I am not concerned with the effort since I have a first class welder lined up...

I will have a better grip on the pricing when I finish drawing the plates and go out for bids at some machine shops/ C&C shops.  I have a local machinist that wants to do it but I will like to shop around for the lowest price.  The trick will be to design it as simple as possible.

Since the top plate will be 1/2" higher it will have some adjustably.  The runners should drop down into it some.  At this point I do not see an inexpensive method to make them fully adjustable without having to draw the entire intake in 3D.  Not that I can not  do it.  But my schedule will not allow for that much work.

Right now there will be 4 pieces:
1) Top intake plate (1/2" thick Al)
2) Bottom intake plate (1/2" thick Al)
3) 6" x 2" Al rectangular tubing
4) Bullitt elbow adapter plate (1/2" thick Al)

All thicknesses are up to debate....

Here are some pictures of the ruffed in top and bottom plates that I did in CAD this week:

The hatch area are holes.

I was thinking about changing the the bottom plate so that the portion below the intake elbow of the top plate can be seal welded. I plan to pin the plates together with a dowel pin.  The only reason I want to keep both plates is for thread engagement...  :roost:

I needed to adapt the Bullitt intake tube to the main body.  So I pressed the end of the tube in an ink pack and proceed to trace an outline on some paper.  Made an origin and took dimensions.  Should be easy to get into CAD.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 07:38:24 PM by J.Miller »
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: How to make a 5.4L SOHC Bullitt Intake!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 06:56:38 AM »
Well I have kinda been busy the past week.  Re-worked the design in CAD.  I am looking at two methods:

1)  Make a casting.  The design I have can be a simple sand casting.
2)  C&C the whole assembly.

I am thinking about making it so that I can duplicate the efforts later.  Just in case some other fool wants to do the job.  Not sure, I will weigh the design vs the cost.  I believe I found a shop that can handle the work.

Thanks to :larry: for this idea.  I will make a jig to hold the intake together.  This jig will allow me to blast out the plastic and weld together the runners.  Hopefully, without having a 5.4L block at hand.  So I recruited my old man.  He is good with wood and it cost me a day drinking beer, fixing his PC computers and buying some chinese food (OPTIONAL)...

Went out to Home Depot and purchased some 3/4" thick outdoor plywood.

First we took some outside measurements and some inside measurements.

Made sure the saw was correct.

Cut the outside and started on the inside.

Dropped her down in the center of the mark and moved back and for the to cut a hole in the wood.

Here is the base for the intake.

Oh yea, the test fit is cool!

Built a little frame around the intake to make sure it does not move.

To make sure she does not move here are a few bolts to hold her down.

This is the hard part. We had to carefully drill out four bolt holes for the bolts and secure them down.

Here is the completed jig!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:24:47 AM by J.Miller »
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 06:57:24 AM »
What you have here is a jpg of the 3D autoCAD drawing I made for the intake.  This is some easy stuff!  I am shocked that I actually remember how to draw in 3D since most of the time others do the drawing for me and it has been like five years since I drew anything in 3D...  I guess it is like riding a bike...

Today I went to the fabrication shop and dropped off this drawing and discussed strategy.

Basically the C&C operator will take my drawings, add the routing for the drill and threads and push a button to start.  C&C work is charged by the hour...

The machine will make my part from there.  It will be manufactured out of a solid piece of aluminum and then I will send it out to get heat treated...

When the part comes home I will blast out the plastic.  Dremil if I can and hand it over to the capable hands of the welder...

By drawing most of the design myself I saved a 3-5 hundred dollars...  and I got it the way I want it..  I am sure that we will tweak here and there a tad before the final part is made...

I left the colors in the drawing for effect.  The final drawing is joined and is one boring color.  This is the drawing before all the parts were joined.  I gives you an idea of how it was created...

The adaptor to the upper air intake elbow is complete.  The center runner support is almost complete.

The whole thing was made on a C&C machine.  The FRP piece was completely checked & measured by ultrasonic sensors.  They tell me that the accuracy is so tight that there will be little gap between the runners and the piece.  This way we hope to minimize the amount of metal that will be trimmed.

We discussed future duplication.  Now that the CAD program is tested and if the unit proves out on the dyno we can quickly cut a piece made of wood.  The wooden piece will be used as a template for a sand casting.  We figure that about ten (10) of these can be made in one day.  That is if anyone cares...

Here is a picture of the almost complete piece:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:30:54 AM by J.Miller »

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 07:03:44 AM »
FastFreddie is a great guy who is well known in the SC circles.  He is famous for his double IC's, raised tops, his love for Thunderbirds and razzing my Cougar...  O0

I have been having a hard time with JB Weld...  Looks like i am running a little behind schedule...  Here is the update:   :poed:

So I went out and got a $20 Dremmil!

FastFreddie talked me into borrowing his saw...

I started drilling-holes and cutting out the crack...   

But after it was sliced it did not budge!

So I tried to cut it horizontally...  Then I saw some welds in there so I cut them...

Now I am pissed so I broke out Freddies saw...

and the hack saw...

I cut...  drilled and trimmed and trimmed and trimmed...

Finally today I was getting close to my goal of separating the runners...

Now I can wiggle it back and forth... 

The runners are loose now and move back and forth.  I just picked up a 4" grinder to finish the end of the runners.  :worship:

Here is a look at the runners after I got them apart...

What a  :bthrm:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 07:06:50 AM by J.Miller »

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 07:07:35 AM »
On a lighter side I competed the elbow adaptor... Here is the top view...

It is gasket port matched and ready to go... 

Here is the assembly...

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 07:13:32 AM »
I went to the Bone Yard and found a 97 4.6L.  So I took out the fuel rails for $16.50.

As usual two bolts would not budge but my experience with a hack saw on the JB Weld served me well...

I ended up cutting a fuel injector and two intake support brackets to get that puppy.

Now all I have to do is extend the rails...  :tard:

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 07:14:48 AM »
My elbow is back from the welder after fitting the intake.  So I took a gander at it and decided it needs some porting and polishing.

As you can see the inside is ruff.

So I will take a dremmil tool to it and remove the big stuff.  While I am at it I plan to gasket match it.

Here is some of it after a few minutes under the knife...

After porting I had it extrude-honed.  Smooth as a babies butt!

Here is the elbow with Extreme Chrome powder-coating and a clear coat...

Pretty soon I will have nothing else to do but install it in the car!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 07:16:46 AM by J.Miller »

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 07:15:18 AM »
Here is the bottom of the Intake.  As you see the volume has been increased...

>

This is where the elbow comes into the intake.

Here is the top of the intake...

This was a ton of work so we doubt :freddie: will weld another...

Here is FastFreddie the welder extradonaire!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 07:32:22 AM »
Some pictures were missing due to web site moving.  Article is not correct!
 :P

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 11:41:53 PM »
Dang!:miller:, you use up more bandwidth than snotty!... and you say that some pics are missing?.......Well i guess thats ok, as you wont be doing any more projects that big in the near future... Spent your effort time, and money, and are now lacking ambition and morally bankrupt??
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 12:11:32 PM »
THE ONES WITH THE RATS RUNNING AROUND :-\ TURNING THE CAGE WITH PULLEYS RUNNING THE GRINDING TOOLS O0 TO DO THE PORTING ;D THE CHEESE WAS THE MOST COSTLY PART OF THE JOB ::)
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 12:34:37 PM »
Ha :miller: how many dremels did you go threw.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 06:45:17 PM »
All I can tell you I should not have gave away my air powered dremel!   I burned up two of them!!!!   :( :( :( :( :o :( :( :( :(