birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: 1990 SC IRCM repair attempt...  (Read 1918 times)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
1990 SC IRCM repair attempt...
« on: July 22, 2009, 08:07:42 PM »
Well :freddie: was on my back because I have been working on the SC and taken no pictures of the repairs and have written few tech articles. I am sorry but I ma busy working in the car...   ^-^

I replaced the fan motor last week (what a PITA) and it worked once but the AC does not work even though it was filled with freon.  I suspected the IRCM so I took it apart.  Here is a referance I used.

First I drilled the two rivets out in the cover.  Oh my, it was dirty...

So I cleaned it.

Flipped her over and checked the welds and then looked at the resistors and etc to make sure noting showed heat damage.

Everything looked ok after cleaning so I gathered my supplies.

I wire brushed the case to heat sink contact.

Applied heat sink compound.  Why because I want it to last.

Spread the compound.

Bolted the the sink back on (as you can see I lost the original bolt).  Used a dab of blue Lock-Tight.  Then I cleaned off excess compound.

Gathered some 89mm counter sunk bolts and etc...

Bolted together the circuit board.  Note the EPDM rubber washers.

Bolted together the case

Wala the final product.

I put it in the car.  The AC worked well.   Nice and cold but the fan did not work. So I hot-wired the fan directly to the battery and it works.  Because you can get a IRCM at a junk yard for $10 I have decided not to take it apart again but to source a used ICRM.   O0
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: 1990 SC IRCM repair attempt...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 01:37:55 PM »
NOTES:

1.  USe dray air do not use the wet electronics part cleaner.  It will remove the plastic protective film.
2,  I used a 7/16" drill bit.
3.  The hold down for the heat sink is the same torqs bit used to hold down the MAF.
 :afto2:
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM