It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Zen Auto Repair  (Read 3121 times)

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
Zen Auto Repair
« on: November 18, 2006, 11:10:19 PM »
Ok.... about 6 months ago my lil blower bird  went from 15.5 mpg, to  around 13mpg... This started me onn'a long journey to get the mileage back. first replacing the IAC, then cleaning the EGR , IAC, replacing both EGR sensors, replacing two coolant temp sensors , upstream 02 sensors, sparkplugs and wires .Driven by increasing gas prices I rooted around in the darned engine bay, replaced a few wire clips that were getting worn out, checking and rechecking fuel pressure, looking for codes, loose wires, anything?..... All to no avail.  In early November, I hit a new low, 12.0 MPG!! Ok now heres where the zen comes in... I wracked my brains for an answer, slept on it and suddenly, "IT" hit me!! Get a can of 'that magic stuff that fixes anythng'.... Cant hurt to try? Well not exactly, as what I was thinking of was Berryman's B-12, a fuel addative designed to actually clean out your fuel system. Problem is, I am amazed the stuff can be sold to the general public, due to the toxic and poisionous nature of it. You must be really cautious to avoid fumes, and contact. Not being terribly enthusiastic about starting to glow in the dark , I handled the big can cautiously, and gingerly.
Guess what? The next tank full was 15.0 MPG, go figure. Must have been sone gummy residue slowing the cycle on those big 42 lb injectors, huh? Think of the time, money and effort I sorta wasted chasing ghosts. Oh well, a few things are in better shape than before....
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
Re: Zen Auto Repair
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 11:35:55 PM »
Postscript .... mileage went to pot again, this time I cleaned the O2 sensors with a  propane torch.. , Mileage back again... ;)
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »
If it happens again new front O2's and a tune may do the trick?  :-\
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 10:51:24 AM »
Tune hasnt/doesnt need a change... its all in the O2  sensors!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 08:22:34 AM by Jake »
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 11:58:45 AM »
Tune hasnt/doesnt need a change... irs all in the O2  sensors!!
When they tune a chip there setting limits or paramiters why would that change. It shouldn't unless you used a different O2 sensor with different out puts.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 08:02:41 AM »
I am throwing this out for debate...  :D

Say your O2 was dirty when you had the last tune.  The O2 did not zero into the air fuel ratio quickly and the O2 that was tuned was not 100% correct.  You do know that your tune is dependent on the proper operation of your O2 sensors?  Even if the tuner uses their own O2 your car adjusts it's air fuel ratio based on the MAF curve which gets input from the O2 sensors.  When you have your car turned they adjust your MAF curve!  So bad O2 = bad tune!!

This could lead to problems at the strip..  I am of the opinion to have your car 100% when you have a tune.  Otherwise you are wasting time...  :-\
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 12:03:07 PM »
I think :miller: can be on to something here and is why I posted the question pior.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 11:30:48 PM »
The esiest thing that can be done to increase fuel milage is to keep up on the standard maintanence on your vehicle. such as fuel and air filters, and the plugs. also a cleasing of the injectors can help too, many local shops (such as the Ford dealership where i work) offer injector cleaning services, and they can make a huge difference in the running of your vehicle. also some places have induction flushes that clean your intake.

as for a tune, naturaly in a Mass Air vehicle, you NEED to have your upstream o2s working poroperly. the most common problem in that the o2 will get "lazy" and not switch around stoich properly, as a result your short term fuel trims will not adjust properly.

also if the MAF sensor is dirty it can screw with yiur tune as well, because above all, the PCM will use the MAF readings to adjust the base fuel trim level, the o2 sensors are promarily to fine tune to ensure the vehicle is at stoich on average.

bottom line, its probably a good idea to replace things like o2 sensors, air filter, fuel filter before a tune, and make sure your MAF is clean.

maybe this is why people still love carburators so much

96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

1990 Thunderbird Soupercoupe
103k miles
black on black

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 09:13:29 AM »
All good points, but after a base tune for something like my sled... any dyno tune will be basically a open loop , WOT, thingy  for max performance wherein the o2 sensors arent a major consideration, if any... You tune for a different AFR , the road cycles arent even considered, just max power min potential damage ;D

Also , its my opinion that a lotta bad, really bad pump gas has been served up to us at really high prices lately, and I think excess sulfur (a common prob apparently ) might also be deletrious to o2 sensor function?
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 08:23:40 PM »
Postscript;

The danm mileage down again! I am gonna break the bank and buy new ones, as thats  the only thing not replaced... The magic in a can, and cleaning both must have affected the O2 sensors briefly, but My guess is theyre just plain worn out... and so expensive.... threw a code last thursday, but by the time I got home, the code cleared, so no point inhookong up the scanner. I will have some new O2 sensors soon.........Dealer list wholesale ; $113.00 each! I will get a few more bucks off....
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!