birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Good mechanic?  (Read 558 times)

BSmooth

• Match Box
Good mechanic?
« on: January 27, 2010, 12:30:23 PM »
First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Blair, most my friends just call me B tho.  I was at a friends new house helping him move in on Louise Road in Morrisville, PA, when I got one of your business cards on my windshield.

So here's my issue. As most of you probably know, there's a common problem with the 4.6 and 5.4 motors and the aluminum heads throwing plugs. Well it happened to me bout a year and a half ago on the drivers side head. I used a heli-coil kit to repair it, it then threw out again just last year in October. I bought a new head and had it put in just 2 weeks ago. Well just yesterday another plug blew out on the passenger side head.

So, long story short... Does anyone know of an inexpensive and good mechanic that can do a heli-coil or solid insert fix on my stang? I live in levittown, PA. Just don't want to repair myself because I'm sure I did something wrong for the heli-coil to only last a year.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Good mechanic?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 02:59:41 PM »
WELCOME B!!   O0

:curley: is more local, I bet he knows someone who can help.
 :pilot:

I have heard of that problem and having a higher than normal compression 5.4L engine and so far have avoided experiencing the dreaded flying spark plug issue reported here by consumer affairs.

There are two thing I can recommend straight out:
  • Install the spark plugs yourself.
  • Use a torque wrench to tighten the plugs (12 LB-ft: barley hand tight with a short ratchet).
  • Make sure you use full thread platinum spark plugs with anti-seize on the threads and a little dielectric grease on the end of the plug boot.

Take your time.  You should only do it once a year.
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

BSmooth

• Match Box
Re: Good mechanic?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:15:47 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and your reply.

I've contacted 2 different shops around me. Basically looking at around $200-$300 for them to tap the spark plug hole and put in an insert or heli coil.

I would do it myself, but as I said , I've done the first one and it didn't hold. So I figure I'll have a shop do it and their work is warrantied. lol. So if it does happen again to the same plug they repair then the new repair is on them to fix for free.

Again, thanks for the welcome and your reply. I'll post on what happens.....