birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: 1989-1997 Thunderbird & Cougar door window switch repair  (Read 1016 times)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
1989-1997 Thunderbird & Cougar door window switch repair
« on: August 04, 2009, 08:18:23 PM »
Great, now I will ride in your car again.  Yea my window stopped working too.  It will go down and but did not always go back up.  Sometimes it will work sometimes it will not.  So, I decided to fix the passenger’s side of the Cougar yesterday.

So I grabbed my automotive upholstery remover and removed the access panel for the switches.  To do this I pried on the bottom towards the front until it popped out then lifted the door handle and coaxed it towards the front of the car.

Then I took a small Phillips screwdriver and loosened the three(3) screws holding the switches in.  Then I removed the switch by carefully prying it apart with a flat head screwdriver.  Then I removed the switch that is still in the panel with two small flathead screwdrivers and patience.

Once the switch is out place it on a table and carefully take it apart by prying the tabs with the flat screw drivers.  Do not break it or you ruin it.  Try to do two sides then the other sides and ease it out.  It will take a few minutes to do it right.  There are two loose spring in the 96/97 switch (this may not be in earlier models).  Remove the springs and put them in a safe place.

Now that the switch is apart I took a 1” x 3” sliver of emery cloth and wiped it across the contacts until the color turns from black to silver.  This takes a little precision to do.  Do not take the switch apart any more.  I used a small Phillips to push the switch down or up to get the cloth underneath and use a little pressure while I wiped it.  Do not do it too much.  You should use a flashlight to check the contact tip.  Do both sides of all four (4) contacts.  When satisfied I sprayed the switch with electrical parts cleaner to remove any residue.  Finally I gave the plugs on the back side of the switch a quick scrap with the emery cloth before reassembly.

Now my window does up and down with ease and I did not have to rebuild a motor!  Total time spent 15-30 min.  Depending on how much beer you drink.  When I do the other side I will take pictures.

8)
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most don’t think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM