They notched the exhaust flange so that it was easier to remove the bolts up there. Problem is the bolts can fall off unless you use locktight. This was the case with me. I really did not like it too much so i had them tack weld the washer in place and then tighten with locktight. Hopefully it will hold. I have a feeling i will have to use the headers from the other engine in the future.
i tried the pivot pin puller today. It did not fit.
so i removed the whole steering column. Honestly i had to pull it anyway just to get at the new dash pad, heater core and the vent fan.
if i did not mention it the reason i am going through this effort is because the ignition lock was broke on the xr7. Therefore i need the ignition assembly on the steering column in order to be able to use a key again.
problem is the column is a little rusty. So i ran it over with a wire brush, prepped it and painted it with my special anti-rust paint. It will need to dry 24 hours and i may have to add a second coat.
the steering position sensor assembly has some surface rust on it. Luckily last year, i found a 35th 90 sc i the junk yard and pulled the steering position sensor assembly. I will use everything i pulled last year except for the switch since i know the switch in the xr7 works. While i am at it i will buff the steering position sensor wheel just to be safe. It is my opinion that rust in this assembly is the reason why so many speedos do not work.
i expect to see the keys by the end of the week... Bummer i could not find a xr7 air vent panel to replace the damaged on i have. It looks like i will be taking things apart twice.