It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: The project has begun...  (Read 3149 times)

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
Re: The project has begun...
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 01:15:33 PM »
the ones going to the cats ???? :pilot:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 03:15:16 PM »
Yes.
 :hide:
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 03:03:36 PM »
They notched the exhaust flange so that it was easier to remove the bolts up there.  Problem is the bolts can fall off unless you use locktight.  This was the case with me.  I really did not like it too much so i had them tack weld the washer in place and then tighten with locktight.  Hopefully it will hold.   I have a feeling i will have to use the headers from the other engine in the future.

i tried the pivot pin puller today.  It did not fit.   :(  so i removed the whole steering column.  Honestly i had to pull it anyway just to get at the new dash pad, heater core and the vent fan.

if i did not mention it the reason i am going through this effort is because the ignition lock was broke on the xr7.  Therefore i need the ignition assembly on the steering column in order to be able to use a key again.

problem is the column is a little rusty.  So i ran it over with a wire brush, prepped it and painted it with my special anti-rust paint.  It will need to dry 24 hours and i may have to add a second coat.

the steering position sensor assembly has some surface rust on it.  Luckily last year, i found a 35th 90 sc i the junk yard and pulled the steering position sensor assembly.  I will use everything i pulled last year except for the switch since i know the switch in the xr7 works.  While i am at it i will buff the steering position sensor wheel just to be safe.  It is my opinion that rust in this assembly is the reason why so many speedos do not work.

i expect to see the keys by the end of the week...  Bummer i could not find a xr7 air vent panel to replace the damaged on i have.  It looks like i will be taking things apart twice.   :hide:
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 10:04:23 PM »
Ripped out the dash on the sc.  I do not think i will do it for the xr7.  They keus are here./  will install tomorrow.
 :afto2:

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 01:59:05 PM »
The ignition key is in the XR7 and works.  It is a easy job.  I took pictures.  While i have the steering wheel off i think i will replace some light bulbs in the dash.
 ;)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 07:21:39 PM »
Ahhhh!  I am fighting with the headlight knob.  It does not want to come off.  I put a little wd40m on it and will try again tomorrow.

in the mean time, i replaced the lock in the glove box, cleaned up the steering wheel and primed the metal.  It will dry overnight.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 11:46:44 PM »
I was finally to get the knob off.  It was glued in.   :o

i looked under the headlight switch and there was a pile of dust.  I looked at the switch and it looked ok.  But when i turned on the headlights the new dash light bulbs did not go on.  I hear there is an upgrade from a tsb in 1992 for motorcraft # sw-5542 that should work.  Problem is do i need to get a wiring harness for it or does it bolt in?
 :schh:

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 03:13:41 PM »
The switch is not in stock locally and most wanted $43+ for an after-market version.  I found the ford oem version for $5.99 on ebay.  So hopefully, that is the problem and as son as it comes i can get the car back together.
 :afto2:

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 09:31:22 PM »
Since i am waiting on the headlight switch which has a pile of green underneath it.  My assumption is that green is oxidized copper.  Hence the cause of the switch failure.   :joys:

so today i decided to change my door locks.  I started with the driver side, because i assumed it will be easiest, and i was wrong.  The lock was easy but then i looked at the window support on the lock side and noticed it was laying on a side.  I looked at it and the window guide rubber was damaged at the top and it looks like the whole assembly jammed up and broke the door panel.  It actually broke cleanly around the bolt hole.  I checked out the one in the 35th and when i removed it the darn thing fell apart!!!

ok, ::ralph::, how did you know????>:(

so i went out and purchased a washer to fix the door hole at millers hardware in easton, which seems to be the last true hardware sore on the planet.  Then i set off to my favorite junk yard.

i found a new window guide and while i was there i got lucky.  I found a 93 with a jbl radio.  Plus i found a new antenna switch since my old one was damaged.  I looked in the trunk and there was no subwoofer so i did not get the last missing piece.  Still 2 out of 3 is not bad!!!!

when i came home i wire brushed and rust proofed the guide.  It should be dry tomorrow.  Plus i put the radio in 80% and installed the new switch.  Once i get the new headlight switch i will test.  Maybe i will need some radio light bulbs???

looking good to make the car show.  Once i get the door and the dash assembled all i have to do is swap the radiator fluid, radiator fan, ac fan and resistor.
 :flex:

FASTFREDDIE

• Nascar
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »
about time you will get a show car !!!!! :afto2: :Third: that,s about the best you,ll get :eaty:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 03:10:08 PM »
Once i get all the mechanics working then it is maaco time!  Then she will be ready.

the junkyard window guide is installed and the window is working.  The steering wheel and most of the dash is together waiting for the headlight switch.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »
Pulled the fan and had the wife reach behind it and pull out the mouse nest.  Removed the resistor and it was jam packed with nest material.  I cleaned it off and sprayed electrical cleaner on it.  Fan blows nice and fast now.

the headlight switch came in today but the console lights still did not dim.  I need to re-check the connections and the fuses.

passengers side door lock is installed.

worked on stereo system.  Found a jbl head unit and amp in the junk yard.  Installed them and all but 1 speaker worked.  Today i replaced it with a sc speaker.  Sounds good!!!  At another date i will need to find a cougar sub woofer.

so all i need to do is change the radiator fluid and get the console lights to dim and i will be done for now.

then i will start to pull what i need from the sc so i can get rid of it...
 ;d

FASTFREDDIE

• Nascar
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 01:02:02 PM »
did the grill fit :bow1: :king:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »
I painted it today.  What he is talking about is the original xr7 grill support.  The made this special design only for the xr7, all the other cougars i looked at had different mounting connection for the grill and when i installed one it simply did not hold the grill in place.

so :freddie: took the old broken xr7 grill and riveted on six aluminum sheet metal braces.  It is strong now and feels much better.  Today i painted it.  Tomorrow i will do a test install, add some jb weld to the seams, paint it some more and then add some undercoating to cover it all up.
 o0

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 12:09:21 PM »
The dash lights are fixed.  It was a 10 amp fuse.  I thought I heard it snap when I put in the headlight knob.
 ;)