It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Glass Hoods, finishing  (Read 1835 times)

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
Glass Hoods, finishing
« on: January 17, 2007, 08:02:20 PM »
Time to clean up the "Black Hole of Calcutta", A.K.A.  :jake: 's engin bay! part of thec process of making it more salable. The biggest draw is it's biggest set back, I.E., the hood, as its a modified glass hood , and therefore kinda rough on the underside. Lotsa miles and some crappy leftover paint had her looking kinda grody. here, you can see what I mean;

Now :miller: suggested a flat black paint jpb, which would actually look best, BUT....once again the practical side of me overulled :miller: 's sensitivities..... you see, gentle reader, It's a glass hood , and the car is in Florida, so I opted for a DupliColor high temp. ceramic aluminum paint. the heat is a real problem here , and useing a reflective paint reduces the outer plastic skins heat exposure to just what the sun puts into the equation. Also, my experience with this stuff shows a decent durability, and some good 'build' with this particular paint, so it is a pretty good choice. but hey! you can decide for yourself;

I think Big Bird looks a lot better with this stuff, while not hiding the technical details of the hood's construction. So whats your opinion?  As a footnote, I am soooo alergic to this paints fumes , that I paid my 77 year old painter to shoot it.
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
Re: Glass Hoods, finishing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 09:46:13 PM »
Looks allot better who made your hood. It almost looks as if it was a steel hood cut and scooped. :jake: are you selling your big bird
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 12:15:22 AM »
Looks allot better who made your hood. It almost looks as if it was a steel hood cut and scooped. :larry: are you selling your big bird

It's an ASC cobra R hood sold by Legendary.... The middle bulge is a united #119 scoop, reversed for a nice 'edge', and tapered.... I rebuilt the hinge areas because they were absolutely unacceptable quality, with more filler than glass, and the bulge for the Blower is something I "free formed" useing a couple layers of cardboard for clearance, and some strapping tape to get the catenary curves in the ridges lined up. I did 98% of the glasswork, and my old painter did the final finishing. I am now allergic to  the polyester activators and epoxy activators, so cant mess with that stuff any more.
 Yup, it's for sale, as Momma hates it, I am not able to do as much as I want to with it due healthand allergy problems.... When you need the help of your wife to survive comfortably in this world, she willingly gives that help, and then puts her foot down, about going to the dragstrip, and keeping that "damned stupid car", its a small price to repay in selling it and hanging up the 13 sec helmet. My unanswered questions are not that important any more....

GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 11:35:48 AM »
Well :jake: you maybe getting long in the tooth as we all are but to sell your toy is very depressing. Your Big Bird doesn't cost you anything but basic cost insurance, plate & maintenance. I guess I'm lucky I have junior help me (after he brakes it) maybe you could get someone with the same interest as you in vehicles that can help you with maintenance and have the old :dog: teach the young :dog: new tricks. If you where around here I'd offer my help and my son's but to sell my car I would never let someone make me do it again but that is a story for another time.     
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 06:48:28 PM »
I would not be concerned, he has been talking about selling that car for three years now...  :poop:
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 10:03:43 PM »
The for sale sign is inna window... :(, and my trophy wife of the last 43 years is worth it to me for all my crying and bitchin' to the contrary.(never , ever tell her that I said that, tho'!!)  ;) Now alls I gotta do is find someone who likes funny looking hoods and big engines....
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 06:18:05 PM »
We all know the truth here!!!  You want to sell the T-Bird because you are bored with it.  The job is done and you want to get another car to hop up!!!!!  A Ford Fiesta or a Caddy...  Oh the choices...   :-*
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 08:45:26 PM »
When the "caddy of my dreams" [A white '98 deville with the  dealer's xtra trim pkg. (1/4 Landau, baroque chrome and striping,icebox white, with beige leather)] becomes available , I will buy it. its a collector's car right now , in terms of appearance, lacking just a few of my "personal touches". I have it figgured out allready, LOL. I love the lines and the style,.....timeless.....
In a more realistic approach; the Chebby cobalt , is an awesome lil' car that's been largely overlooked by many , therefore the dealers are giving them a way in a depressed market... going upstream a tad any Poncho G5, G6, is also an outstanding buy, espacially a 1 year old '06, off lease or unsold. they all have great mileage (something becoming more important every day) and could also be gradually messaged over the years with a perf. exhaust , some inc ar porting , polishing/gasket match, a set of camz and such as the parts become available. thing is , Actually GM has it pretty well figured out from a gearhead  point of view ..... the cobalt's base engine, a 2.2 liter "ech-otech" is a quite well engineered improvement of the old quad four.... makes 148 HP, which converts to 1.1 hp pewr cubic inch displacement, which seems a pretty good starting point for a little N/A engine. the Engine and auto tranny has a 'different layout , with the tranny on the right(firewall side) of the transverse layout. It is a small but sturdy tranny, and somethinf a fellow could pull by hand , and easy to get at . the 2.4 is rated at about 170 HP ,and is also kinda interesting , tho more expensive and a couple less mpg.......
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 09:00:04 AM »
Pictures pictures???  :chk: