+ Smooth locking gas door swap from a 94/ 95 to a 96/ 97 Cougar or T-Bird!!  

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Smooth locking gas door swap from a 94/ 95 to a 96/ 97 Cougar or T-Bird!!  (Read 1324 times)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
After my 95 Cougar was totaled  I decided that I wanted to install the smooth locking gas cap in the cougar.  Before I attempted the job I did a little homework...

The following shows the buttons in the glove box.  In fact the gas cap button was located in the console between the seats.  Note how the the gas door attaches to the car.

To do the swap you need the gas door (grab all you can get), solenoid (associated hardware), wiring from the solenoid to the connector on the opposite side of the trunk, the button in the console and as much wiring from the button to the dash as possible.

A hole plug is located under the console for the button.  I did not get all the wiring between the button and the trunk so I ran my own wires.  A positive was wired from the fuse box to the switch.  I chose to use an ignition wire so the trunk can only be opened if the car was powered.  The other side was wired to the connector in the trunk.  I believe a ground was required.

The connector in the trunk replaced the existing rear wiring harness.  The solenoid bracket is existing in the 97 so it was easily placed.  The door fit just fine except that I left the 97 shim in the fender and had to remove the door because it was not fitting correctly because there were two shims underneath.

Here is what it looks like installed....

Here is it after some paint...

;D ;D
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
ALSO FORD TRUCKS 150  8) S.S. GAS CAPS WILL FIT ON BOTH CARS AS WELL  O0I DID 2 BIRDS SO FAR  :-\ONLY THE ONE ,THE CAP OPENS TOWARD THE FRONT, RATHER THAN THE BACK :'( 2 DIFFERENT VENDORS :( ONE HAS A MAGNETIC HOLD  :D THE OTHER IS SPRING LOADED :o  GOT BOTH FOR AROUND 20+_ BUCKS
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!