mail

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Super Coupe Repair!  (Read 1440 times)

SCgearhead

• Slot Car
Super Coupe Repair!
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »
So I'm probably two days away from being able to complete the repair of my broken heart...I mean car  ;D My Super Coupe had a head gasket failure (surprise, surprise) and me and my dad have put about 20 or so hours under the hood. Today the heads and valve covers went on (and all of those annoying little pieces like the EGR valve). Tomorrow we will take on the supercharger/intake/intercooler.....Yeah all the stuff that covers the block. Then the accessory brackets and pumps and hopefully she'll be roadworthy  :clap: I have some pictures i took on my phone I will put up sometime if anyone wants to see my progress. Besides freshly machined/rebuild heads, the only mods I have on (or almost on) are a MP intake and a 70mm BBK TB. And of course no mufflers  ::) The only factor that may stop it from getting done asap is prom taking up my Friday, LOL.

:pilot: Hoping to be flying high again soon!  :pilot:

J.Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Super Coupe Repair!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:25:21 PM »
The supercharger IC tubes is a pain if not done correctly.  First you need the big spanner wrench that can be had at SC performance.  Second you need some of that Permatexģ Ultra Copper RTV as a minimum.   You can try teflon but outside the SC nut it can be easily over tightened.  For the inter-cooler feed and discharge tubes copper rocks.

When you install the IC tubes we recommend starting at the SC top working towards the IC then do the bottom.  Let it dry overnight.

You need to make sure you found the long weird bolts for the SC.  You need it at least to keep the bottom bolt (near the alternator) otherwise the IC will crack.  It holds all the weight.

Finally :freddie: makes his own SC oil.  Check this link.
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

SCgearhead

• Slot Car
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »
Yeah I have the Copper RTV and I didn't disconnect the I/C tube from the SC top so I don't need a spanner wrench
You need to make sure you found the long weird bolts for the SC.  You need it at least to keep the bottom bolt (near the alternator) otherwise the IC will crack.  It holds all the weight.
-Not quite sure what you're talking about but I'm sure I'll find out. Also, Ford says that SC oil never needs to be changed and mine has never leaked any so I was going to veto that

J.Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »
There are hard to get at bolts in the center of the upper and lower IC tube that connects to the block.  You need to retain one of them.
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

SCgearhead

• Slot Car
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:15:23 PM »
Alright today on went the supercharger with no problems surprisingly. Most vacuum hoses and wires are connected and the passenger side accessory bracket is mounted along with the A/C compressor and Antifreeze reservoir. Saturday the driver side bracket and PS pump, alternator and battery and such will go back in followed by new oil and a filter and I'll turn her over then once I know she'll run well some antifreeze

SCgearhead

• Slot Car
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:14:31 PM »
Also, now that she's gonna be back on the road, my 3rd gear synchros are going bad. Anyone recommend rebuilding or should I just try to find another M5R2

J.Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 08:04:31 AM »
I am going to visit :freddie: about the show.  I will ask him his expert opinion.

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 12:15:56 PM »
ONLY INSPECTION OF THE GEARS IN THE CASE WILL TELL WHAT WHAT TO DO ....  :wish: IF WORN TO BAD WILL NEED A NEWER TRANS   :wacko: ....LOOK FOR WEAR MARKS ON GEAR BRINGING THE THE GEARS TO A SHARP POINT AT TIPS.  IF ONE LOOKS LIKE LIKEKNIFE BLADES, REPLACE GEAR.  IF THE MAIN CLUSTER LOOKS LIKE KNIFE BLADES GET A NEW TRANSMISSION.  THE MAIN CLUSTER RUNS FRONT TO BACK, IT HAS 5-6 GEARS ADN ALL THE OTHERS ENGAGE TO.  NOT THE ONES THE FORCKS SLIDS.   :hide:

METAL SLIDERS ARE CHEAPER TO REPLACE THAN THE MAIN CLUSTER.  THEY HAVE FORCKS THAT SLIDE ON THEM.  MAIN CLUSTER IS NOT WORTH FIXING.   :joys:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

SCgearhead

• Slot Car
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
Yeah if I'm going to take it apart I'm gonna do new synchros and a rebuild if needed, otherwise I'm trying to avoid taking it apart and just get a new tranny. Anyone have one for sale?  ::)

J.Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 08:41:49 AM »
Alas, I have autos.

Manuals are not that hard to work on.

SCgearhead

• Slot Car
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »
So today she started up and purred....Very loud lol. I thought the gasket on the EGR valve was on....but it wasn't and I'm having a hard time reconnecting the metal line on the bottom cause I broke it taking it off. So tomorrow I will get the gasket on. Any tips for the metal line on the bottom? Also I'm going to rebuild the tranny. And :miller:, with all due respect sir.. I am addicted to driving manual.

SCgearhead

• Slot Car
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 09:01:30 PM »
Man I cannot find a rebuild kit specifically for the SC M5R2 for the life of me. What's the difference between the F150 trans and the SC trans? I'm finding all these contradicting info pages

J.Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 06:22:27 PM »
You can get one here:afto2:

SCgearhead

• Slot Car
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o
That is EXPENSIVE. I'll deal with some 3rd gear synchro grinding for a little while

SCgearhead

• Slot Car
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »
So now she's running beautifully......Minus the exhaust leak before the resonator  :doh: