It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Need rear tires... Looking at Nitto and Cooper  (Read 1507 times)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Need rear tires... Looking at Nitto and Cooper
« on: June 14, 2011, 03:21:30 AM »
I have 255/5/15's and am thinking about getting a different set of tires than the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS tires.  So I have been looking at:

1.  Nitto 555 - Currently in my size, a summer only tire with proven street results.
2.  Cooper Zeon RS3-S and RS3-A Tires.  Only available in 245/45/17.

Here is a write-up about the latter...
Product Review: Cooper Zeon RS3-S and RS3-A Tires
By Jonathan Lamas, About.com Guide

In October of 2008, Cooper released their Zeon RS3 tire. It became the official tire of the ROUSH Mustang, and remains standard equipment on Roush's Mustangs. That was several years ago.

In the time that has passed, the company has spent countless hours working to further build upon the success of the original RS3. Cooperís newest performance tires for the Mustang are the Zeon RS3-S and the Zeon RS3-A. Both tires were based on the original RS3 tire, although each are designed with a different purpose.

Improved Control on Both Wet and Dry Surfaces
Cooperís Zeon RS3-S tire, which replaces the current Cooper Zeon 2XS, is an ultra-high performance summer tire offering a low-profile, high performance rating. The company says this tire combines world-class dry road traction, increased handling, and exceptional cornering ability. The RS3-S will be available in 21 sizes and will launch in April 2011.

The Cooper Zeon RS3-A tire replaces the current Cooper Zeon Sport A/S. This tire is an ultra-high performance all-season tire which combines large tread elements and asymmetric design. This, the company says, provides all-season confidence in less-than ideal weather conditions. This is, in part, due to the tireís advanced technology mold profile, which provides a square tread footprint, resulting in improved road contract. The RS3-A will be initially offered in 31 sizes and will launch in April 2011. Additional sizes are scheduled for later in the year.

The Cooper Zeon RS3-S (Sport) tire features a large intermediate tread element for stable cornering and reduced road noise, variable draft groove walls for irregular resistance, and four wide circumferential grooves for hydroplane resistance. Its large shoulder tread elements help provide dry handling and improved cornering.
Specifications of the tire are as follows:

Large intermediate tread element for stable cornering and reduced road noise
Variable draft groove walls for irregular resistance
Four wide circumferential grooves for hydroplane resistance
Large shoulder tread elements help provide dry handling and improved cornering
Available: April 4, 2011
Price: TBD

This week I'm in San Antonio, Texas testing out Cooper's new Zeon RS3-S and RS3-A tires. If you recall, Cooper Tires partnered with ROUSH Performance back in 2008 when the Zeon became the official tire of all ROUSH Performance Mustangs. The company's new tires build upon the success of this release.

Like the RS3, the new Cooper Zeon RS3-S is a sport tire designed for the performance enthusiast looking for an ultra high-performance summer tire. It replaces the Cooper Zeon 2XS. The RS3-A, an ultra-high performance all-season tire, replaces the current Cooper Zeon Sport A/S. Both will become available in April.

Testing of the tires took place at Cooper's 1,000 acre facility located in Pearsall, Texas. My thoughts? As with the original Zeon RS3, I was very impressed with the new tread. Its most noteworthy trait? Control in extreme conditions, both wet and dry. Stay tuned for my full review later this week.

On February 22, 2011 I traveled to Pearsall, Texas to test out Cooperís new Zeon RS3-S and RS3-A tires. Testing took place on both a dry and wet track road course at Cooper's 1,000 acre facility using 2011 Ford Mustangs, automatic transmissions, with V6 engines.
One of the first things I noticed about the RS3-S tire was its ability to recover when fading. All tires have a breaking point when they lose traction with the road. When this happens, youíre usually at the mercy of the skid. I was very impressed with the RS3-Sís ability to come back from, what I considered, the point of no return. Most tires would simply continue to fade at this point, resulting in lack of control, and probably one heck of a slide. The RS3-S regained its composure, allowing me to continue moving on down the road course.

I was equally impressed with the RS3-A tires out on the wet track. In all, I was able to maintain control of our test car without any embarrassing wipe outs.

Later in the day, I joined former Indy Racing League racer, Johnny Unser, for some hot laps on an extended road course surrounding our test track. Our ride included several high-speed straight-aways, followed by wild trip through an infield course with numerous tight turns. Johnny put the tires to the test in our modified 2011 5.0L Mustang. Once again, I was impressed. No matter what he threw at the tires, they held to the track. Most impressive was the fact we were running on the RS3-A tires. No doubt, the RS3-A is a solid tire for both wet and dry performance conditions.

In all, I was extremely impressed with the new Cooper Zeon RS3 tires. Itís not often a tire has the ability to help you regain control when youíre losing traction. Most all companies tout the fact they will prevent you from losing traction. That said, we all know every tire has a breaking point. Not many tell you they've created a tire that helps you regain control when it's lost.
Would I buy a set of new RS3 tires? Yes. Which version? Well, here in Southern California we rarely see a cloudy day. Iíd opt for a set of Cooper Zeon RS3-S tires. If I lived back in New Jersey where we experienced all four seasons, Iíd probably go with the Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires. They provide plenty of performance on dry days, and provide added confidence when itís wet outside.

If pricing, which as yet to be released, is in line with the competition, I'd say the RS3-S and RS3-A make a great deal for the Mustang enthusiast.

Interesting.
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
Re: Need rear tires... Looking at Nitto and Cooper
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:57:55 PM »
WHAT IS A 5 ??  225/5/15  CHECK OUT " KUMKO " GO TO " JEGS TIRES "
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Need rear tires... Looking at Nitto and Cooper
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:48:50 PM »
Oops 255/50/17.

I want street/ strip tires this time...
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM