+ Someone stole my yellow Flex-fuel capable E85 fuel cap "bezel" birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Someone stole my yellow Flex-fuel capable E85 fuel cap "bezel"  (Read 3937 times)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
I believe my 2012 Focus SFE is E85 capable.  It came with a yellow bezel around the fuel nozzle which is marked E85.  The car had no other markings.  One day I filled it up with E85, drove 180 miles and took it to the dealership the next day.

Immediately after I picked up the car I went to fill her up with gas.  To my surprise the bezel was missing.  In its place is the standard black NO-E85 bezel with a red circle and a cross going over the E85.  I called the dealership and spoke with the manager. I asked Him where the fuel yellow bezel went?  He told me he will call me back.

One day I have E85 capability and the next I do not?  I start to wonder is the car actually E85 capable or could the fuel cap have been an error that was corrected by the mechanic?  Why would the mechanic just take it off and not inform me?

I look at the "vehicle description and fuel economy information boxes" on the sticker and it only says gasoline engine.  I look at the back of the car and there is no FFV "Flex-fuel capable" emblem.  The E85 ethanol label is not displayed on the fuel filler door (I do not remember if it was there in the first place).  The only reference I can find is at the Ford site.  There is a statement that some later 2012 models of the Focus SFE are FFV "Flex-fuel capable" compatible.

The dealership manager calls me back and says that he does not believe that His people removed the bezel but He will replace it free.

I wait a few days, get a postage card in the mail that my part arrived.  So on Saturday I return to the dealership.  They show me the part.  It is the same as the one that was placed on my car as a substitute.

I tell the parts manager that the part is incorrect and he started to have trouble fining it on the computer.  So I draw a picture.  He still has trouble.  We walk out to the car and I show him the issue.  He says, now I know what you want and goes back to the computer and locates what he thinks is the part.

I ask him is my car really E85 capable.  He looked it up on the Ford site.  It is confirmed by Ford as a FFV "Flex-fuel capable" Focus.

Apparently this dealership is open 24 hours a day.  Anyone could have simply walked in and swapped the bezel.  Possibly to use it to get a better price for their car.  Somewhere there could be a Focus that claims to be E85 capable, that is not.  If the unsuspecting buyer fills up the car, the engine will be toast.   :hide:

Satisfied, along with a complementary small touch-up paint bottle, I await my replacement bezel.  I plan to glue this one in place!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:54:43 AM by J.Miller »
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
Re: Someone stole my yellow Flex-fuel capable E85 fuel cap "bezel"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 04:23:51 PM »
WATCH :schh:  NEXT YOUR MOTOR WILL BE GONE >:( :help: :naww: :nono: :schh: :help: :hide: :shift:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
They will need the fuel pump too.
 :o
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

FASTFREDDIE

• Nascar
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:48:31 PM »
WATCH :schh:  NEXT YOUR MOTOR WILL BE GONE >:( :help: :naww: :nono: :schh: :help: :hide: :shift:
DID YOU KNOW THAT E85 GETS 10% LOWER MILEAGE..AND COST MORE
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 06:50:37 AM »
I calculated the savings.  During a 1.15 hr commute I logged the MPG and compared it with pump gas.  The MPG for the car is much lower with E85 since the EEC is optimized for pump gas.  It has been a while I believe it was something like 4 MPG less.  Most Ford EEEC's use vehicle history to make adjustments.  This takes a few weeks.  That is why Ford recommends that you mix it with gas until the computer learns.   All in all, I estimated that I saved between 2.5 and 5 cents per gallon.  Not much but, if you drive long distances it is a consideration.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 05:03:48 PM »
I found that out about three years ago when the marine industry was having all kinds of problems with ethanol additives. First thing is it attracts moisture not good if there is no provision to separate the water from the fuel second is that it is a good cleaner so good it was taking the varnish from older fuel cells and clogging fuel filters the third problem was it deteriorated carburetor gaskets and seals. Here's a simple test get two clear bottles and fill both half way one with E85 the other 87 octane and let them sit on a self and check them in a month and see what happens.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 06:20:05 PM »
Well well...  Milham Ford finally gave me a yellow bezel.  Much better dealership than the crooks at Haldeman Ford Lincoln (who would have simply lied their teeth off). 

This bezel is not exactly the same as the one that came with my car.  Mine had yellow 365 degrees around the fuel filler and listed other compatible fuels besides E85 around the bottom.  Kinda liked the old one...  But it looks like I will never see it again!  :(

I am going to set this in place with an adhesive!!!

I ordered a Flex fuel badge to prevent any mechanics for trying to do me a favor...
 :afit:

If anyone has a fuel bezel with yellow 365 degrees around the filler please post it here...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:26:06 PM by J.Miller »

FASTFREDDIE

• Nascar
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 07:51:48 AM »
ONLY I FOOL WOULD USE 85 FUEL !!!   I REST MY CASE !!!! :doh: :doh: :afit: :afit: :naww: :naww:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!