birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Where should I start  (Read 1023 times)

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
Where should I start
« on: February 10, 2007, 06:25:15 AM »
OK we all no I got the a 98 MKVIII 4.6L DOHC motor I also picked up the rear end with a aluminum differential case but found out it was a code 5 w/ 3:27 conventional pinion (figures my luck). Here is my dilemma with the cost of the engine rebuild and not certain if I want SOHC or DOHC and the engine shop I have is swamped right now with rebuilds and I will get a better price if I wait. But I want to start doing something so here what I plan to do but in what order. I have a bad cat so a 2.5" dual exhaust using SLP cats, loud mouth II mufflers and 3" slashed tips, I have the differential and want to put an Auburn True-loc w/4:10 gears, and a new torque converter and J mod for the tranny.
So with that lets hear what your suggestion or opinions is in regards to my project.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:54:36 AM by rjstat »
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Where should I start
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 10:02:46 AM »
With respect to the rear end you can swap out the gears for traction loc.  The problem is getting it done right.  Shimming up the gears can be a PITA...  I know a guy in CT if you do not have one local.  Though he is rather slow...

Needless to say, I think you should consider your gears carefully.  If you do not plan to do too much highway driving then the 4.10's are the best for you.  For optimum performance the gears should be selected based on a dyno run and your peak at x RPM.  So if you do  not have any data from other identical DOHC swaps, it may be better to put in the regular gears and go with a gear upgrade after you tune at a dyno.

I tend to agree that the 2.5" exhaust may be the best selection as long as you plan to have around 300 HP.

>:D
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:48:15 AM »
:ralph: will elaborate. I planned to do a dyno to get a base line on what I currently have available and to make sure I am going in the right direction and gain and not lose power I was going to go with 3:73's but decided that 4:10's would be better out of the hole. The car is not going to be a daily driver any longer its now street and strip. It will go to cruise night at the Fudd and other meets. I would like to get 400 rwhp. Since I still can't decide wether I'm doing SOHC or DOHC I can't buy my headers so I will have to install the exhaust so it mounts to the stock manifolds. :miller: isn't the engine pipe to the third cat 2.5"?
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 11:01:33 AM »
With a dohc setup, useing 3.73 gears would be good, and tuning still this side of difficult, ... the 4.10's would be a bit too radical for me, and you didnt mention what kind of driveshaft, but either will require a one piece, to eliminate shaking like a :dog: crapping bones...Heck , my 3.55 gears made me buy the dynotech  alum shaft those many years ago....You could allways start out with the 3.27's and alter them down the road... My experience sez the auburn unit is a great choice! Mine has held up verry well. One caveat tho, Auburn is emphatic about useing dyno oil in the diffy, and also only GM , or ford friction enhancer fluid , but absolutely must use one or the other.....With the power levels youre projecting, you will end up with a better launch with the 3.73 gears, if you make any kind of tork...If memory serves me correctly the pipe out of the headers was 2" , or perhaps 2.25?  The biggest the stock colectors will handle is 2.5" without any modicication.... Also dont forget to clean out the inside of the cast iron collectors like shown in a few articles... as thats as good as getting sum shorty tubulars.....At least thats my opinion
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 12:05:59 PM »
With the DOHC isn't there a reduction of torque and with the 4:10's I thought I would compensate for the loss of torque. So DOHC more horsepower less torque SOHC less horsepower more torque but with the right drive line help correct the deficiencies. I scored a 93 MKVIII drive shaft which hasbeen balanced and ready to install. I started at the rear wheels I'm going with 17x9 wheels with 245x55x17 tires the increase the halfshaft diameter the rear end is a Auburn True-loc with 4:10 gears one piece drive shaft the tranny with the J-mod and new torque converter. So how does it sound.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 07:50:45 PM »
All's good, except I just dont like revving it that much with 4.10's . The lower torque is actually good, as a softer launch occurrs. you will be making plenty of power, and driveline shock will be less down at the bottom with that lower torque, which mostly rudely spins the tires off. Jl, Kd, and that crowd spin their engines mercilessly, , but I juuuust dont like that... I think my tork monster needs a lower stall and 327's instead of the 355 gears currently init........ but its your call, LOL
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 08:15:24 PM »
I originally wanted 3:73's but my son wants to launch off the line like it was coming out of a sling shot. So 4:10's to aggressive?
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 09:38:10 AM »
OK I started buying componets for my new 2.5" exhaust I purchased a pair of SLP Loud Mouth II mufflers and I'm bidding on a set of Exhaust tip from eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160083166766&rd=1,1 still need to get a set of high flow cats Lou's Custom Exhaust is going to install and fabricate the pipe.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.