It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Coastie  (Read 4543 times)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Coastie
« on: February 11, 2007, 10:39:50 AM »
Coastie???  I looked that up and here is what it is:

As per the Office of Boating Safety: Coastie is an animated robot tugboat that interacts with children to teach rules about what to do and what not to do to be safe on and near the water. Coastie uses slogans like "Reach or Throw But Never Go In," "Don't Just Pack It! Wear a Life Jacket!" and "Always Swim With a Buddy in a Supervised Area," plays music and even has his own Boating Safety Jingle, written by two elementary students.

Do not diss Coastie!!! ;D ;D ;D
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
Re: Coastie
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 10:45:52 PM »
As long as I can remember a Coastie was a member of the Coast Guard;
IMHO; anything to do with the Coast Guard sux!... Dont like them, dont like the way they operate, the way they ursurp the U.S.Customs authority to conduct illegal search and seizure , dont like their attitude , and have absolutely no use for the idiots inna USCG auxilary.... Dont trust them. they are a PITA!! They should be removed from homeland security, disbanded or absorbed by the Navy. They shouldnt be allowed more than 12 miles off shore, they shouldnt have any long guns , just pistols, no fixed wing aircraft. And above all, should be supervised by the U.S. Navy all the time. Years ago, there were some with a decent level of common sense, and competency , but lately, BOZOS almost to a man! In an era of cost cutting and downsizing they are empire building! Their regs and actions have made things so absolutely silly for a merchant seaman trying to make a living that a lot of good, experienced men have quit the sea rather than deal with beraucrats and anal retentive clowns running the Coasties... There was , is currently a shortage of qualified senior officers in the Maritime business to help supply our troops , why? Its juuust too much bother for guys to come out of retirement to help out, and as soon as some one is eligible for a pension, they seek work elsewhere. In a few more years, we will need to rely on phillipino crews, and serbian crews to man our supply ships,mostly due the regimented :censor: occurring right now. I suppose if we need to fight Iran as well, the Coasties might waive certain rules/requirements, as they allways do in wartime , but our merchant seamen wont buy any more of that :censor:.....
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 11:27:33 PM »
:jake: living in FL you of see the use of power by the Coast Guard first hand but the reason the Navy or any branch of the service  could preform those duties is because of  The Posse Comitatus Act 1878 law forbidding the use of the Army or Navy as civilian law enforcement except by Constitution or Congress.

In December 1981 additional laws were enacted clarifying permissible military assistance to civilian law enforcement agencies and the Coast Guard especially in combating drug smuggling into the United States. Posse Comitatus clarifications emphasize supportive and technical assistance (e.g., use of facilities, vessels, aircraft, intelligence, tech aid, surveillance) while generally prohibiting direct participation of Department of Defense personnel in law enforcement (e.g., search, seizure, and arrests). For example, Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachments (LEDETS) serve aboard Navy vessels and perform the actual boardings of interdicted suspect drug smuggling vessels and, if needed, arrest their crews.

Post 911

Homeland Security
TITLE 6 CHAPTER 1 SUBCHAPTER VIII Part H Sec. 466. Congress finds the following:

1. Section 1385 of title 18 (commonly known as the Posse Comitatus Act) prohibits the use of the Armed Forces as a Posse comitatus to execute the laws except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress.

2. Enacted in 1878, the Posse Comitatus Act was expressly intended to prevent United States Marshals, on their own initiative, from calling on the Army for assistance in enforcing Federal law.

3. Some believe the Posse Comitatus Act has served the Nation well in limiting the use of the Armed Forces to enforce the law. Whether this is a good thing or not is subject to debate.

4. The Posse Comitatus Act was not intended to be a complete barrier to the use of the Armed Forces for a range of domestic purposes, including law enforcement functions, when the use of the Armed Forces is authorized by Act of Congress or the President determines that the use of the Armed Forces is required to fulfill the President's obligations under the Constitution provide for the common defense or to respond promptly to insurrection, or other serious emergency.

5. Existing laws, including Title 10, Chapter 15 (commonly known as The Insurrection Act), and The Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (Title 42, Chapter 68), grant the President broad powers that may be invoked in the event of domestic emergencies, including an attack against the Nation using weapons of mass destruction, and these laws specifically authorize the President to use the Armed Forces to help restore public order.

6. The Posse Comitatus Act could be replaced, nullified or modified by a simple act of Congress.

97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 01:17:58 PM »
12 miles offshore, there are international waters ... the coast guard has less business/authority in my book in international waters than the navy. In Florida, the Marine Patrol (another bunch of jackbooted thugs in my books) have driven most shrimpers away from close in sources of shrimp by swooping down on the shrimpers, grabbing their nets and fineing them /arresting them for having undersized shrimp, before the shrimper could empty them and sort the catch. kinda unfair, and local opinion is this tactic is used to force the shrimpers farther off shore.Well, now here's a sun beaten 70 year old woman and her husband in a small shrimp boat 3 miles offshore, trying desperately to glean a living off their limited energy and resources, working hard, when suddenly a USCG hi speed rib boat appears alongside, and some EM 'coastie jumps aboard, waving a fullty automatic  weapon under the old ladys nose  threatening , yelling and agressive as hell. well the "Coasties", as usual could find no reason to arrest, cite or detain the old couple, 'cause they had their chickensh!t fire extinguisher in good condition, weren't smuggling nuclear weapons, and had the prescribed lifepreservers aboard....
However, indiscriminate , pointing and threatening ,with an automatic weapon anyplace else in these United States would constitute a charge of assault with a deadly weapon, and criminal charges would be filed.... this is not the case with the Coast Guard... they can also hack your boat apart, in the process of inspecting it, and your recourse is the same , none, unless you decide to find the particular individual who committed the offense coming out of a bar late at nite, and exact a little personal justice... the County sheriff, the state police, city police, hell, even the FBI, as arrogant as they are, dont perform in as roughshod and unrestrained manner as some of those Coastguardsmen do, and are a whole lot better supervised, and professional. Go to any small coastal town, and listen to the people who reside and work there, and you will hear anectdotal stories of similar ilk, because its a fact. After a lifetime at sea, and having sailed as 3rd,2nd, and chief officer as well as master, of large (unlimited class) steam and diesel vessels in both the coastwise and foreign trade , And having seen first hand time and again their Orwelian and overhanded methods, I have utter contempt for todays coast guard... It needs to be regulated, and supervised, plus it is a waste of money in many instances , duplicating State functions in inland waters, and involving itself with things outside its sphere of proper concern.
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 06:20:11 PM »
:freddie: called me today.  He was excited.  He said he watched the movie the Guardian and saw your name in the list of credits.  Since :freddie: is is on the Rescue squad he wondered how long you were in the Guard???  ;D ;D

He says that he is going down to Daytona for the Turkey run and we expect to see your car there on the beach.    :o :o
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:43:03 PM »
:jake: being in the Gator Navy and spending 2.5 years out to sea what makes you think that the Navy would be any better than the Coast Guard in these current times do you think the Navy would have the resources to do the job. With battle groups rotating in and out and the current Med cruise diverted to the coast of Africa the Navy is stretched close to its max. But I do agree the puddle jumper do let the authority go to there head. Also someone has to save the stupid boater that buy boats and do not have a clue from fore and aft lever mind port and starboard and should not be on the water. The USCG mission will not change under the present administration. So relax let them do there job and voice your opinion at the next election.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 09:10:14 PM »
RJ....
I have dealt with the USCG forover 40 years... the regime has nothing to do with the empire building , incompetence, and just wrongheadedness that has emerged and gotten stronger over the last 20 years.........
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 11:49:10 AM by J.Miller »
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 06:59:45 AM »
No he is busting you just like the rest of us...  :-[  Poor poor :larry:...  :-*

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 10:36:31 AM »
RJ.... Are you trying to Really p!ss ME OFF??
I have dealt with the USCG forover 40 years... the regime has nothing to do with the empire building , incompetence, and just wrongheadedness that has emerged and gotten stronger over the last 20 years.........
:larry: no I am not here to p!ss you off  I only posted facts on why the Navy could not do what the USCG is able to do. I agree with you that the USCG mission has increased since 911 and not for the better. When I can not leave the dock from the marina because a LNG tanker is coming in the harbor or if Iím on my boat and I get passed or hailed by a USCG ridged inflatable with a machine gun and crew with automatic weapons I understand and letís not go into the fish industry. A past student of Mass Maritime and seeing the maritime fleet dwindle next to nothing due to bureaucratic bullsh :censor: I do understand. Your experience with the USCG is first hand that you had to deal with. My nephew was currently on a Med Cruise and is now somewhere off the coast of Africa. 
:shemp:   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:57:03 PM by J.Miller »
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 11:34:17 PM »
RJ, thing is , In the deepest part of my mind, I have an undying regret that I didnt get around to going to the OCMI office in Charleston, turn around and drop trou, to wipe my butt with that license! :miller: wuz the one pulling my chain as only :miller: can, with his changing my avatar,etc.... Notwithstanding some decent onshore SAR work,  the picture below is etched permanently as what I percieve the USCG to be in its finest moments!

GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 08:19:46 AM »

You you are not careful and fire that 50 cal in the boat it will either go the other way or tip over.  Heck, I bet it would bust out of it's mount!!  :D :D :D

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 08:30:36 PM »
I wounder if I put that picture on the side windows of my boat what the Cost Guard would do. Sink me?
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 08:52:35 PM »
Nope , they would claim the right of search and seizure Working for the customs dept,(Even tho customs is treasury, and they are transportation) so absent of probable cause they would cut your boat up and maybe down to the water line, seize it temporarily, and drag it to an impound dock where the wheels of justice would grind verry slowly. The boat would partially sink before you got it back ,so some fuel from a submerged tank would cause a sheen on the water so you would be cited for polluting the inland waters of the United states, duly fined, and sent on your way with half a boat. DO NOT LAUGH!! THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO A FRIEND who shall remain nameless, as he may still be serving under the authority of an unlimited deck officers license..... :-\
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 12:13:22 PM »
Nope , they would claim the right of search and seizure Working for the customs dept,(Even tho customs is treasury, and they are transportation) so absent of probable cause they would cut your boat up and maybe down to the water line, seize it temporarily, and drag it to an impound dock where the wheels of justice would grind verry slowly. The boat would partially sink before you got it back ,so some fuel from a submerged tank would cause a sheen on the water so you would be cited for polluting the inland waters of the United states, duly fined, and sent on your way with half a boat. DO NOT LAUGH!! THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO A FRIEND who shall remain nameless, as he may still be serving under the authority of an unlimited deck officers license..... :-\
I agree with you on that a boat sunk in it slip next to my buddies boat at the marina luckily the guy had the proper insurance. Unfortunately a good friend of mine is a Lt.Commander in the USCG was retired and after 911 was reactivated fell into bad health had his left leg amputated and now is on active reserves he now sails a desk.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 08:22:07 AM »
This is for RJ;
Being a down easter, and familiar with things maritime, heres my lil' 15ft 11.75in. custom built boat.The arthritis doesnt let me use her any more, so she is for sale, but  the question for today is; Can you identify the design?

The trick is to ignore the deviation in construction, as most of these were carvel planked, where I used spiled 3/4x1/4 atlantic white cedar strips with a bead and cove mating for a fairer hull, and epoxy /glass in and out to bring the scantlings up. Thwarts are 7/8" oak tied to keel with oak center pillars and glass wrapped and inlaid. Keel, stern, and trim are mahogany. ::)

Answer; It's a Boston type 1857 Whitehall boat, with the lines taken from the table of offsets in the Boston Maritime Museum by Glen -L Marine.... the 1/4" less than 16 ft, adjustment makes it an uninspected,non-federalized boat subject to a different set of requirements re lights, equippage, etc. and allows you to give certain elements of regulaatory agencies the 'finger' if they get too pickey.

Here's another shot of it afloat, which shows her lines better;

She is my 3rd command, and named after my 2nd command, the S.S. Pride, a 1624 type hull;

« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 12:55:06 PM by Jake »
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!