birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Rear Toe End compensators  (Read 1196 times)

Joe H

• Street Racer
Rear Toe End compensators
« on: October 06, 2013, 07:10:44 AM »
I bought two because mine are worn slam out !

I mean to the bone.

Is this   dangerous ?

My guy .............I think he got pissed off at putting converter in and I got the parts back.

sigh............I have a good friend with a lift.
I searched for articles on these and people say you need a ton of torque to get them loose/off
When I do this .........I can put my connector in that goes in front of hogshead.

I don't want to knock car off lift with a big arse breaker bar.
You think 2 competent people working on a lift can do it ?

or......................you think I'd need a high torque ratchet or a pit................stay away from lift and pure muscle ?

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Rear Toe End compensators
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »
As per this link:
The rear suspension system is fully independent and is mounted on a rubber isolated subframe. Large permanent mold aluminum lower control arms (H-arm configuration) are used to oppose torque reaction on braking and acceleration. A cast toe compensator link controls toe-out during braking.

The toe link reduces toe changes during acceleration and braking that are caused by the soft stock LCA bushings being overly compliant.  Chances are your LCA bushings are worn too...  Minus well take care of them or you just may do the job twice.   :lunie:

There's quite a bit of play in both the stock LCA and Knuckle bushings that allow allot of movement.  This movement is controlled by the toe link). Delrin almost entirely eliminates that excess play, so launches are both better and more consist.  Problem is that at this time I do not think you can not get Delrin.

Suspension stuff is a PITA.  I usually prefer to get her on a life and use aira tools.   Bushings sometimes need special tools like a press.  Just a bunch of work.  God bless and good luck...
 :pop:

Delrin IRS bushings (if you can find them) not deflect, there is no change in toe, and therefore no need for the band-aid oe End compensators.
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

Joe H

• Street Racer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 12:52:40 AM »
Weird.

Ok

I've done a little more research on this and everything you said is correct.

If there is no deflection then you don't need them !

FIGURES I ALREADY BOUGHT THESE.

But as for the delrin (spelling) bushings.

I AM NOT going to mess with those.

Too rigid can be a bad thing too.
The guy that makes them emphasizes off road only.

I have found a nice kit from energysuspensionparts.com that offer polyurethane ones with many people praising how they even helped their wheel hop conditions.

So.................that kit should do fine.

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:53:26 PM »
BAD NEWS ON RIGID BUSHINGS  >:( >:( IT CAN DAMAGE THE REST OF STOCK PARTS  :doh: :doh:  MY SON INSTALLED THEM ON HIS CAR  :surr: :surr: NOT A T-BIRD THE 1ST MONTH I WELDED SUBSPENTION ARMS AT STOCK WELDS :flex: :flex: :flex:   NEXT MONTH ARMS RIPPED OUT BEHIND WELDS  :hide: :hide:  REPAIRED AGAIN  :naww: :naww:  TORN AGAIN USED HEAVIER ARMS & THE BUSHINGS CAUSED THE GUIDES 2 EGG SHAPE  ??? ??? ???   REMOVED BUSHINGS REPLACED STOCK 1,S NO MORE PROBLEMS    4 EACH MOD AND OTHER 1 WILL B NEEDED :doh:   IT NEVER STOPS UNTIL EVERTHING IS DONE  :wacko: :wacko: :lunie: HOW MUCH TIME AND MONEY DO U HAVE ????
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

Joe H

• Street Racer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 07:19:39 PM »
BAD NEWS ON RIGID BUSHINGS  >:( >:( IT CAN DAMAGE THE REST OF STOCK PARTS  :doh: :doh:  MY SON INSTALLED THEM ON HIS CAR  :surr: :surr: NOT A T-BIRD THE 1ST MONTH I WELDED SUBSPENTION ARMS AT STOCK WELDS :flex: :flex: :flex:   NEXT MONTH ARMS RIPPED OUT BEHIND WELDS  :hide: :hide:  REPAIRED AGAIN  :naww: :naww:  TORN AGAIN USED HEAVIER ARMS & THE BUSHINGS CAUSED THE GUIDES 2 EGG SHAPE  ??? ??? ???   REMOVED BUSHINGS REPLACED STOCK 1,S NO MORE PROBLEMS    4 EACH MOD AND OTHER 1 WILL B NEEDED :doh:   IT NEVER STOPS UNTIL EVERTHING IS DONE  :wacko: :wacko: :lunie: HOW MUCH TIME AND MONEY DO U HAVE ????

Thanks for the confirmation :freddie:.
I truly mean that.
I'm not going to use any metal bushing replacements except maybe the ones that  seat the rear subframe. Those are under a tremendous load .....so........I might  use those