birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Charging AC unit on 97 bird  (Read 4226 times)

94onair

• Match Box
Charging AC unit on 97 bird
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:33:11 AM »
How do you charge the AC in a 97 bird.  I knew how to do it on my 94 3.8 but now but in the 97 air lines/unit and not sure how to do this myself...?

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
Re: Charging AC unit on 97 bird
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 01:55:03 PM »
How do you charge the AC in a 97 bird.  I knew how to do it on my 94 3.8 but now but in the 97 air lines/unit and not sure how to do this myself...?
Are you evacuating the system and they going to recharge it or are you adding refrigerant to the system.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 06:30:11 PM »
The test connections are in the same general location as the 3.8L.  You charge through the suction accumulator/ Dryer.
 O0
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

94onair

• Match Box
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 09:52:35 PM »
Just got a new AC compressor.  Lines are not even connected.  So I plan on connecting the 97 lines and filling it?  Can I do this myself or do I need to take it to an AC shop.  On my 3.8 it wasn't getting cold so I went to Auto zone, bought the can and filled it up.  Is this what I need to for it to work or is it more than that?  On my 3.8 unit it had a small black round unit near the front that I plugged into and filed.  On these lines it doesn't have that.  Anyone have a pic they can post with an arrow pointing to the line where I fill it?  Thanx for all the help guys.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 07:06:41 AM »
I will get you info tonight.  Having a issue getting the data from one computer to another...  :(
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

94onair

• Match Box
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 10:59:46 AM »
ok thanx.  And charging from empty is the same as re-filling it when it is low right??

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 06:40:18 PM »
Here is what Ford recomends.  ::)  Other methods may work.  That is your choice...  ^-^

System Charging Set-Up

Ford Motor Company recommends using a charging station to perform evacuation and charging of the refrigerant system. Follow the instructions provided with the charging station.

If a charging station is not available, system charging may be accomplished using a separate vacuum pump, charging cylinder and manifold gauge set. The use of small cans of R-134a is NOT recommended.

If charging cylinder method is used, the center port of the manifold gauge set should have two refrigerant hoses with integral shut-off valves built into the manifold gauge set. If the gauge set does not have shut-off valves and two hoses at the center port, a tee fitting and two hoses should be installed at the center port. In addition, the hoses attached to the center port should have shut-off valves at the other ends of the two center hoses to prevent air from entering the hoses when not connected to the vacuum pump and charging cylinder.

Service Access Gauge Port Valves
The low-pressure service access gauge port valve is located on the suction accumulator/drier between the A/C evaporator core and the A/C compressor.

The high-pressure service access gauge port valve is located on the A/C manifold and tube (19D734) on the 3.8L engine and on the A/C compressor to condenser discharge line (19972) on the 4.6L engine.

Service Access Gauge Port Valve Locations -- 3.8L Engine (4.6L Engine Similar)

Charging from Small Containers

The refrigerant charge level of A/C systems is critical to optimum performance. Either an under-charge or an over-charge will adversely affect performance. Using small cans to charge these systems is not recommended because the charge level cannot be accurately controlled. A charging cylinder or a charging station is the only recommended method.

Charging With a Charging Cylinder

1.   CAUTION: Liquid-charge into the vehicle suction accumulator/drier (19C836) only. To prevent A/C compressor slugging, do not liquid-charge into a refrigerant hose while the engine is operating. Slugging can damage the A/C compressor (19703).

If the vehicle suction (low) side service part is located on the suction accumulator/drier, connect the gauge set center hose to the liquid port of the charging cylinder. If the suction (low) side service part is NOT on the suction accumulator/drier (located on the suction hose), connect the center hose to the GAS port of the charging cylinder.

2.   When evacuating the system with the vacuum pump, the gauge set second center hose should be connected to the charging cylinder and opened to the gauge set so that the hose will be evacuated with the system.

3.   When evacuation of the system is complete, close the center hose valve to the vacuum pump and turn off the pump.

4.   Open the charging cylinder valve and the gauge set low-side valve to allow refrigerant to enter the system.

When no more refrigerant is being drawn into the system, start the engine and select an A/C function on the control assembly. Select the highest blower speed and allow the remaining refrigerant to be drawn into the system. Continue to add refrigerant until the specified weight of R-134a has been added, then close the charging cylinder valve and allow the system to pull any remaining refrigerant from the hose. When the suction pressure drops to approximately 207 kPa (30 psi), close the gauge set center hose valve.

:o :o

94onair

• Match Box
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 01:42:04 AM »
Ok thanx.  I bought a large fill bottle with a gauge on it.  Hope it all works.  So I want to fill it on the low pressure side correct??

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 07:06:20 AM »
Fill on the low-pressure service access gauge port valve located on the suction accumulator/drier between the A/C evaporator core and the A/C compressor.

You may not get a full charge without creating a vacuum.  ::)