It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Now what Puzzled and confused  (Read 2707 times)

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
Now what Puzzled and confused
« on: March 02, 2007, 08:55:57 PM »
Well the Cougar has been off the road for the winter and I'm getting the itch to work on her so I went to start it and it fired right up so I let it get to the normal operating temp. I then decided to rev the engine it then hesitated sputter and ran like :censor:. I then cleaned the MAF still no change. This has me baffled since I was starting it once a week except the week I went down to Allentown any suggestion I checked the obvious. Could it be the fuel I filled it up and haven't drove it on the street since Dec 1st.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 04:34:08 PM by rjstat »
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
Re: Now what
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 11:04:53 PM »
Struggle thru a half tank if possible, then add berrymans B-12...
for now, add two cans of heet, dry gas or something else to eliminate water inna tank/fuel line... that may be all that is giving you probs...  Seems like we even have moisture in the tank probs in Fl in the winter time  >:(.... good luck.keep us posted O0
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 06:57:26 AM »
Besides fuel I will put that battery on a charger.  Three things will cause sputter.  Bad gas, dirty MAF/ Air filter and a battery that does not hold a load.
 ::)
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 07:47:15 AM »
Thanks :jake: and :miller: I swear I'm losing it especially when I own a boat and going threw the fuel problem I should have learned. The new fuel with the alcohol added in the fuel collects condensation which caused me to add a water separator into the fuel system. :moe: I cleaned the K&N filter and oiled it when I put it up for the winter. When the problem arose the first step was to clean the MAF as for the battery I have a Battery Tender on the on the battery to maintain its charge. But I will burn off half the tank and add Berrymans B-12 and some Heet. I'll keep you poster.
:ralph:
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 08:32:50 PM »
OK heres what I no so far I let the Cougar idle for an hour after I put a can of Berrymens B-12 and ISO Heet into the fuel system and it helped a little but I still have the engine bogs down at 3000 rpm it was really to cold today to really troubleshoot. If you have any other ideas let me no.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 10:46:05 PM »
About the only other thing that I can think of is an iced up fuel filter.... however  thats a stretch.... might try heating it with a hair dryer for a while while idling, might tell ya something? ;)
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 07:08:20 AM »
I would check the alternator wire connections and the spark plug wires.  Water could get in the plug holes and trash them.  :o
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 10:47:46 AM »
I would check the alternator wire connections and the spark plug wires.  Water could get in the plug holes and trash them.  :o

Aaaah! condensation.... That could also be the culprit... kinda hard to fire up a car thats sat a while easier and better to run em periodically............. ;)
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 02:40:01 PM »

Aaaah! condensation.... That could also be the culprit... kinda hard to fire up a car thats sat a while easier and better to run em periodically............. ;)
Well I checked the alternator and connection and alternator output a strong 14 volts spark plug wells are dry. My son was suppose to start it at least once a week for at least 20 minutes but I would have to take his word for it. If you ask me he was giving me lip service but this weekend it's going to be in the fifties I will dig into it then.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 06:57:49 PM »
OK I went out today and this is what I done so far. Cleaned the MAF check the plug wires and spark plugs checked fuel pressure at the fuel rails. I have MIL for insufficient flow bank two engine idle prefect nice and smooth when you accelerate to 3000 rpm it bogs down loses power and stays at 1500 rpm and run rough left off the gas to idle and then smooths out and idles fine. Could the catalytic converter on the drivers side be clogged these cats have 70k on them.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 08:21:34 AM »
Gee, I dunno... I would first clean the  O2 sensors on that side, see if that made a difference, as the ECU may be trying to prevent leanout due the sensor read.... those sensors can go any time, and the cats are old, so mileage really doesnt count as much as age..............at least in my opinion... ??? :-\
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 09:26:40 AM »
Gee, I dunno... I would first clean the  O2 sensors on that side, see if that made a difference, as the ECU may be trying to prevent leanout due the sensor read.... those sensors can go any time, and the cats are old, so mileage really doesn't count as much as age..............at least in my opinion... ??? :-\
I actually went into my service book I have from the previous owner and I have been maintaining and the 46,000 mile since he changed the catalytic converters 21/27/04 but it sounds like I have bee bee's shooting around under the drivers side. There is no rotten egg smell.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
Re: Now what Puzzled and confused
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 04:48:42 PM »
Today was a great day to work on the cougar I broke out the vacuum gauge and here is what I know at this point. Started and warmed up the motor. I put the vacuum gauge and started the motor and it pulled 14 inch's with a steady needle I then gradually increased the rpm to 2000 rpm and the needle increased to 17 inch's with a steady needle. I went WOT 0 inch's vacuum engine bogs let of the throttle and vacuum increase to 12 inch's but does not return to 15 inch's anyone have any ideas. :-\ ???
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 05:18:21 PM »
Hmmm? youre getting some interplay from the Iac it would appear, throwing off some of the lat vac readings...Zero vac at WOT is correct, but the bog not so correct... appears to be fuel flow . check the fuel pressure vs RPM/vac should get higher fuel press at zero vac, if thats the case, then the next steop is check the injectors, and the control system (ECU).............Sure would be a better situation with temps over 60 degrees or so tho'
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 08:26:01 PM »
Hummm...  What is the pressure of the FPR?  How long is it maintained after your turn off the engine?
 :o