It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Now what Puzzled and confused  (Read 2645 times)

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
Re: Now what Puzzled and confused
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 09:37:15 PM »
Hummm...  What is the pressure of the FPR?  How long is it maintained after your turn off the engine?
 :o
You no I didn't think of checking the FPR I will check it tomorrow I'll also see how long it hold after I shut it down. If you think of anything let me know. I'll also put a vacuum pump on the FPR to see holds.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
Well after hunting threw my repair manual I came across this.
Test Readings

A careful study of the vacuum gauge reading while the engine is idling will help pinpoint trouble areas. Always conduct other appropriate tests before arriving at a final diagnostic decision. Vacuum gauge readings, although helpful, must be interpreted carefully.

Most vacuum gauges have a normal band indicated on the gauge face.

The following are potential gauge readings. Some are normal; others should be investigated further.

Vacuum Gauge Readings

NORMAL READING: Needle between 51-74 kPa (15-22 in-Hg) and holding steady.
NORMAL READING DURING RAPID ACCELERATION AND DECELERATION: When the engine is rapidly accelerated (dotted needle), the needle will drop to a low (not to zero) reading. When the throttle is suddenly released, the needle will snap back up to a higher than normal figure.
NORMAL FOR HIGH-LIFT CAMSHAFT WITH LARGE OVERLAP: The needle will register as low as 51 kPa (15 in-Hg) but will be relatively steady. Some oscillation is normal.
WORN RINGS OR DILUTED OIL: When engine is accelerated (dotted needle), the needle drops to 0 kPa (0 in-Hg). Upon deceleration, the needle runs slightly above 74 kPa (22 in-Hg).
STICKING VALVES: When the needle (dotted) remains steady at a normal vacuum but occasionally flicks (sharp, fast movement) down and back about 13 kPa (4 in-Hg), one or more valves may be sticking.
BURNED OR WARPED VALVES: A regular, evenly-spaced, downscale flicking of the needle indicates one or more burned or warped valves. Insufficient hydraulic lash adjuster (HLA) clearance will also cause this reaction.
POOR VALVE SEATING: A small but regular downscale flicking can mean one or more valves are not seating.
WORN VALVE GUIDES: When the needle oscillates over about a 13 kPa (4 in-Hg) range at idle speed, the valve guides could be worn. As engine speed increases, the needle will become steady if guides are responsible.
WEAK VALVE SPRINGS: When the needle oscillation becomes more violent as engine RPM is increased, weak valve springs are indicated. The reading at idle could be relatively steady.
LATE VALVE TIMING: A steady but low reading could be caused by late valve timing.
IGNITION TIMING RETARDING: Retarded ignition timing will produce a steady but somewhat low reading.
INSUFFICIENT SPARK PLUG GAP: When spark plugs are gapped too close, a regular, small pulsation of the needle can occur.
INTAKE LEAK: A low, steady reading: which can be caused by an intake manifold or throttle body gasket leak.
BLOWN HEAD GASKET: A regular drop of fair magnitude can be caused by a blown head gasket or warped cylinder head-to-cylinder block surface.
RESTRICTED EXHAUST SYSTEM: When the engine is first started and is idled, the reading may be normal, but as the engine RPM is increased, the back pressure caused by a clogged muffler, kinked tail pipe, or other concerns will cause the needle to slowly drop to 0 kPa (0 in-Hg). The needle may then slowly rise. Excessive exhaust clogging will cause the needle to drop to a low point even if the engine is only idling. When vacuum leaks are indicated, search out and correct the cause. Excess air leaking into the system will upset the fuel mixture and cause concerns such as rough idle, missing on acceleration, or burned valves. If the leak exists in an accessory unit such as the power brake booster, the unit will not function correctly. Always fix vacuum leaks.

Well my bet it's the cat's on the second bank since prior to me putting it up for the winter I had a code for insufficient flow in bank #2.
Oh I used the :jake: method to clean the O2 sensor will be replacing all 4 when new exhaust is installed.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 07:14:01 AM »
Good stuff...  O0
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 07:57:07 PM »
OK today was a great day first I went to see Johnny Bling Bling (03expyeb) at work to get some needed parts for TSTATS and to talk with the tech that put on Johnny's supercharger. I told him what I came across he said I was doing everything by the book and he also suggested to drop the engine pipe as soon as I told him it threw a MIL P0403 excessive flow threw the EGR valve he said restricted exhaust. When Tommy and I got home we got to work two hours later we disconnected the exhaust at the manifolds when done we connected the the vacuum gauge and started the motor and at idle the vacuum increased to 18 inch's and a steady needle slowly increasing to 2000 rpm the vacuum increased to 22 inch's as it should at WOT the engine increased to 7000 rpm and quickly releasing the throttle it went back to 22 inch's of vacuum. So we solved the loss of power I have clogged converters. Sounds good with open headers it's going to Lou's Custom Exhaust as soon as I get the high flow cats.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 09:28:11 PM »
I dont know wether you can get away with them in mass, but check out the dynatech  metal matrix hi flow cats... they are the best for low resrtiction, and are really compact....See Jegs.......
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 11:04:41 PM »
Well I am having the car towed to Lou's Custom Exhaust they are going to install a dual exhaust system. They are using a pair of Magna-Flow Hi Flow cat (49 State Legal they do have a set that will not pass a MA inspection) to a X-pipe with a set of SLP Loud mouth II mufflers set mid car and a nice set of SLP tips. This will set me back $650.00 and I am suppling the mufflers and tips Lou is suppling cat pipe and labor I'll try to get pictures.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 07:21:27 AM »
Pictures.... pictures...  pictures...   :D :D :D
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 04:06:52 PM »
Pictures.... pictures...  pictures...   :D :D :D
Well the exhaust is done and the dual exhaust with a X-pipe they did a great job and when they started it up to take it off the lift that sweet sound of V8 power and it is definitely louder. I recommend this set up to anyone that likes it loud but not as loud as cherry bombs. I forgot to bring the camera (not once but twice) so if weather permits I will do it over the weekend and post them.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 07:08:35 PM »
Lucky I was not there...  I would have took a picture of your forgetting the camera!    :picture:

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 07:37:54 PM »
Lucky I was not there...  I would have took a picture of your forgetting the camera!    :picture:
That would of been better than no pictures  :uhoh: I'm still getting a P0402 excessive EGR flow I guess it is time to check the EGR system again. When I got the car I had insufficient EGR flow then insufficient flow bank 2 now I have excessive EGR flow. I'm get so confused with all the flows  :-\ ??? What do you think of MIL eliminatetors?
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 08:54:44 PM »
Usually that is a bad O2 (I had bad new O2's) or bad FPR...  :-\

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 02:33:18 PM »
Usually that is a bad O2 (I had bad new O2's) or bad FPR...  :-\
Well I broke down and bought this code reader and I have one bad O2 sensor.
http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16318
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.