+ GM's new V-6 engines.....

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: GM's new V-6 engines.....  (Read 1049 times)

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
GM's new V-6 engines.....
« on: March 02, 2007, 10:55:45 PM »
Hmmm? I must have missed something along the way watching Ford struggle with its draconian modular systems. ???
Here's Gm, silently developing a whole new bunch of motors that are really great! Called the GM High Value Engines , theyre all 60 degree V-6 engines , for a more compact , lighter power plant. All save one are push rod engines with Variable Valve Timing. Here  lets list them:
1. 3.5 L (LZ4 )  224hp,220 ft/lbs   99mmX76mm Bore and stroke (close to the 4X3 ratio of Ford's 5.0)
2. 3.9 L (LZ8)   242hp,242 ft/lbs   I think the stroke is a tad longer? anyone know?

The LZ8 will cut out cylinders with low load situations for economy, both are pushrod with the variable valve vtiming

The 3rd V6 in the domestic line up , is a DOHC 3.6 L, an offshoot of a engine not available with domestics, shared with Honda. no this isnt the Honda variant, its a different engine exclusively for caddilacs, etc of the high buck persuasion , making  a claimed 275 HP now and the next generation coming Soon! will be direct injected , rather than port injected, with 300 Hp projected...Its designated a LY7.

Interestingly enough, in the LZ8, they are pulling about the same power as the old 3.8 L did with a supercharger! and that sucker in its N/A version powered just about every car in the GM lineup , except Caddillac! Thing is ,all these engines are with a bigger bore than stroke, contrary to fords "long stroke think" , where they start with a 4.6's 3.5" X 3.5" bore and stroke, and go up in stroke... (oops , finally, ford has gotten off the dime, and their new 3.5 liter variant of the dohc duratec, to go with a 3.6" bore and 3.4 inch stroke.... gee a whole tenth difference! anyhow it makes 250 hp with the dohc (plus variable intake timing)

Well , its hard to compare apples to oranges, but those compact pushrod engines of GM are absolutely intrigueing for a swap by a hot rodder, and not so shabbyi n the pontiac G-6 and a few other rides like the Malibu. Oh no, did I say Malibu? Sheesh, maybe I gotta start looking at G-6's and Malibu's now?
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: GM's new V-6 engines.....
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 06:54:34 AM »
They had to do something they lost business with the poor performance of the 3800 in the 90's.  Pushrod???  Sounds like they want to improve their product instead of developing something new...  I wonder if there is an article out there on this stuff???  :o
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 07:20:28 AM »
Sounds like to me someone is trying to convince themself to get a GM.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 10:29:57 AM »
Sounds like to me someone is trying to convince themself to get a GM.

Naaah! I am looking for compact lightweight power (hotrodders dream) the old small block v-8 engines were sooo much smaller than the OHC veee engines of today. I am surprised at how far the GM engineers have actually taken the pushrod engine, and even with a tad less power than a OHC , they are quite formidible.  :oThe GM 3800 was a rip off of the general public, and waaay underpowered for say, a Park Avenue (Anudder rip off), and even a Lesabre, which still surprisingly had decent performance due tuneing and the balanceing of power curves to trannys.
    I am just considering alternatives, and there is much to admire in the latest crop of pushrod  GM v6 engines. It's also interesting to delve deeper into the 3.5 L of Ford's with a brand new casting technique adapted for its aluminum block. My first impression of the cast iron duratec engine in our Taurus, is that that sucker is huuuuge! the 3.5 is the same , except an alum. casting, go figure.
Thing is , I have Big Bird up for sale, and need to consider all available alternatives to get something I will be happy with for the next 10 years. Also need to address the fuel cost problem..The caddy deal may fall through, I see some other attractive deals around here, and need to learn about a lotta different engines that are out there...........(chrysler engines are excluded as I dont like the direction the Germans have taken chrysler.) :(
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite