+ What does my Tranny need birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: What does my Tranny need  (Read 776 times)

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
What does my Tranny need
« on: April 02, 2007, 05:24:30 PM »
OK guys what will I need to do to my transmission need when I put in the 10" torque converter and have the J-mod done will the stock transmission with mods be good enough.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: What does my Tranny need
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 07:35:39 PM »
How much HP/ torque do you plan to apply?  :-X
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:06:38 PM »
These trannys are all pretty tough.... you will get a better rebuild with newer plates and  bands due to upgraded friction material. my rebuilt 95 box was faster than the new one (not broken in at over 20K) , but it only lasted about 100K miles. I think removing the wavy and adding a plate or two is about all they need , plus the stronger, newer mechanical diode,  The J-mod isn't all that much of an improvement over a good shift program on a chip, as far as I am concerned,.Problem is too many people wanna make the MN-12 a race car, when it is too heavy , and has that wonderful  IRS which isnt great for drag racing, so set it up conservatively, and enjoy what you have as a street car thats quite fast, heavy , but handles great too! And thats my 2 cents worth!
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 08:10:30 PM »
you could probably leave it stock and get fantastic results, you could also upgrade it to 4r75 spec (i don't recall how to, something involving the changing of clutches). i am also going to be trying something soon on maybe my 3.8 bird to see how well it works. if it does, it will basically be a shift kit with no drilling or valve body modification, and you won't have to remove the valve body. and if all goes well you can turn it on and off. if it works i'm going to call it the "k-mod"
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

1990 Thunderbird Soupercoupe
103k miles
black on black

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 05:10:17 PM »
I looking for 400rwhp with the DOHC I am planning of doing the drive line the Auburn Tru-Loc arrived today the 4:10 gears are on order I have the 93 MK VIII drive shaft it has been balanced and ready for install just need to decide how far to go into the tranny and then install the 10" torque converter with a 3000 stall speed.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.