It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Hybrid, Hybird, who cares?  (Read 1233 times)

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
Hybrid, Hybird, who cares?
« on: April 02, 2007, 10:31:04 PM »
just saw a toyota Prius for sale; 115K mi. , $5998.... New ($3500) battery pack 08/06.
think on this for a sec..... great battery life about 5 years, about 100K plus a tad?
 well thats  35 bucks a thousand miles, or about550 bucks a year, go figure. thing was over, waaaay over 20 grand new , so the depreciation isnt too good for a toyota, but lets say 45 mpg for 20 K per year, and compared to a 20mpg vehicle you would have saved $1390 per year of $2.50 gasoline....times 5 years,....equals $6950 minus that battery pack equals... OK that means you saved $3450 worth of $250/gal gas, over 5 years, or 690 bucks a year to drive around in a relatively gutless , undersized freaky looking car. and didnt get too good a shuffle on depreciation.... Now lets look at a few 'udder' things...............
The higher voltage battery packs are not something you wanna deal with in an accident.(remember we are also adding gasoline to the mix) As the car ages its more subject to electrical failure, corrosion, and other higher maintenence failures. Now this is a Florida car, and I suspect the northern ones just cant fare as well. As a used car, this sux, as a new car there is very little actual advantage in owning one... ... The Richard Head factor, where you end up like looking like a d!ckhead hasnt even been considered.... maybe someday, but for now I am not gonna take a flyer on a hybrid, unless we consider one of those fuel cell jobbies that burn almost anything, convert the hydrogen to electricty, with a DC motor on each wheel.....Alas,  that technology is still onthe distant horizon, go figure.
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Hybrid, Hybird, who cares?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 07:33:17 AM »
I thought the government was offering incentives a/k/a discounts to buy those things?
 >:D
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most don’t think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 04:04:39 PM »
JUST GET DONKEY :D
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 04:49:35 PM »
I'm still think that there need to be more tech on electromechanical drive systems. The battery technology has come a long way but still needs a longer discharger durations.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 07:22:36 AM »
How could you not want to buy a car that is peddled by Kermit the Frog?  Ford Motor Company is once again giving other automakers a reason to be green with envy.  The Ford Escape Hybrid ad featuring Kermit that debuted during the 2006 Super Bowl was recognized by IAG Research as the “Most Effective Automotive Ad—Non Luxury” during a ceremony at the opening of the New York Auto Show.

In the 2006 spot, Ford teamed up with Kermit the Frog, one of America’s most lovable characters, to celebrate the advertising launch of the greenest and most fuel-efficient SUV on the earth, the Escape Hybrid.

More info here!
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most don’t think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM