It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: What a difference  (Read 977 times)

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
What a difference
« on: November 25, 2006, 07:47:23 AM »
I recently had to do an intake change due to a leak at the thermostat housing I decided that I would go with the Dorman intake. This intake has the aluminum crossover the gaskets are pre-installed alternator bracket and thermostat with gasket. It was an easy job not to difficult. The problem I had was when I started the engine for the first time was the engine idled a little ruff  but the problem was when you increased the engine rpm I was getting a back fire. I talked to J.:miller: and told him he recommended that I check the plug wells and make sure there was no coolant in the wells. Of course there was so I blew them out with an air compressor and reinstalled the plug wires it idled better but still back fired when revved. I was p****d at this point and decided that the plugs and wires where going to be replaced (since they had 40,000 miles on them from previous owners record). Well after removing the wires I started removing the plugs and was surprised to find that the plug on bank #1 1-4 was running lean and bank #2 5-8 was running rich all plugs had various deterioration of the electrodes. When completed the I started the engine and boy what a difference the idle was smooth the back fire gone and power that was lacking is back and it is running like a champ. To bad when the DOHC is done that engine will be history.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
Re: What a difference
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 05:25:12 PM »
Sounds as tho the injectors have gotten a bit gummy and one is running lean? :o might be worthwhiole to run some berrymans B-12 in it just for laughs and giggles , see if it does more to improve how it runs ::)
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 03:48:31 PM »
Sounds as tho the injectors have gotten a bit gummy and one is running lean? :o might be worthwhiole to run some berrymans B-12 in it just for laughs and giggles , see if it does more to improve how it runs ::)
J.:moe:, :jake: or Fast :curley: do you think if :shemp: was to increased the injectors to the next size what would happen.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 06:15:17 PM »
Well... I :miller: seys...  The injector size required depends on your HP.  To find out the best size you can always check out my

Fuel Injector Sizing Program!!  :alchol:

If you change your injectors you will need to make a changes in your EEC!  If you have a EEC tuner then it is no big deal.  If not it may not be worth while since there is no real performance gain.  You can get away with up to 30#ers on a stock engine if you so desire and plan to increase HP in the future...
 ???
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 08:15:14 PM »
Why didn't I remember that FI program was on your website. Thanks I'll leave it alone until I swap the engines
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.