birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Engine rebuild what would you do  (Read 1179 times)

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
Engine rebuild what would you do
« on: November 25, 2006, 08:48:26 AM »
OK I am posting this topic here with some changes to the post that was posted at TSTaCC cause I'm in process of doing the winter project so here we go. I recently purchased a 1998 MK VIII 4.6L 4v Teksid block what would you do to get the most hp from this engine keeping it N/A. I know the proper way to build the drive line is to work from the rear forward so here is what I plan 17" x 9" wheels, half shafts and pumpkin out of the 98 MK VIII 3.73 gear set 93 MK VIII drive shaft (that has been balanced) I have all the MKIII parts (came from the Car with the engine). I need to get the transmission rebuilt with a J mod, and a torque convert (suggestions please) so lets hear what you suggest.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
Re: Engine rebuild what would you do
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 09:09:18 PM »
Ok, first of all , the most horsepower will not necessarily make the best driving car, so I will tell you my general thoughts. You need a good machine shop to begin with, to balance things align bore, and work over the crank... This isnt cheap, but well worth the money , as a balanced rotating assembly is the key to high RPM durability, precision fitment also is important....I would get the heads reworked by someone knowledgable, and with a good rep. Steen comes to mind first, so iwould be talking to him, I guess ... there are others tho' that should be considered. Comp cams should be good , and the important thing,is duration, not Lift. A little advance in a 4.6 should be ok. but the thing is to not get too radical, and end up unhappy with what you have, By all means gasket match the intake and heads ,as well as the exhaust manifolds and  heads. You will almost have to use the MK VIII headers and cats, I know of nothing that is available that will fit the mn-12 at a reasonable price. By all means go with a custom 2.5" true dual setup, with 'H' pipe. Parts; get a light weight forged piston, and the strongest rods you can find... I would consider stuff from D.S.S., as its all from china these days, and just finished in the u.s. machine shops to supplier specs........A 32V N/A engine produces less tork initiallty, which is not a bad thing in and of itself, but you will want the gears youre contemplating, or 3.55's with a bit more stall on the converter. The converter needs to be a bit smaller than the 12 and 11inch units in the ford stock inventory , as you will be running much higher RPM, so a 10" converter with a 2800-3000 rpnm stall would be a nice thing to locate. The smaller ones are more resistant to balooning at higher RPM as well as having that higher stall.........The intake's IMRC' s (We're talikng "intake manifold runner controll butterflys") will give you a better ride/Launch , so youll have to get some sort of setup that will open them when you hit 3000 RPM or so, close when RPM dropds...
Contact Lonnie at blue oval chips, and he can set youi up with a switching system separate of your 16V computer system.....otherwise , the other thing youll need is a chip to override your 16V computer and ignition... Once aqgain I would recommend Lonnie. ARP studs instead of the Ford TTY  head bolts should be used. with that nice alum block, I would be sure to make up a couple xtra motor / chassis ground wires from 18" battery cables. I would talk to steen, DSS , Fox Lake, VT engines , and see what they recommend, and then make your own decisions. I would also consider forged rolling assy components from CHP , as they have a pretty good name and some solid engineering on their side as well....
I would also consider useing a flip chip with  aregular gas economy tune (or maybe a valet tune considering who will drive it) and a premium gas performance tune, then hide the switch, LOL. If you arent satisfied , a small centi blower will make things even better, then if you get greedy a 75 shot of nitrous will get the adrenalin going even  more.....good luck
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Engine rebuild what would you do
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:07:06 AM »
Though some of you may know that I have dealt with darrin and the :dog: in the past I no longer support them as vendors.  darrin due to his extremely touchy and borderline nut-case ways...  and the :dog: well, really is not in the torque converter business anymore...  He sold designs to Circle D and buys his torque converters from an unknown vendor.  There is no way he can claim the quality he once had when someone else builds it for him...  :nana:

For a torque converter I would go to Circle D

As far as a transmission goes I hate to say this but if you want the best go to the guys who have the fastest cars.  I say contact kdanner and JL over the TCCoA.  Ask them if they would build you one.  They may be a little arrogant but
you know what you are dealing with and I never heard ill of their work!
 :naut:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 05:07:34 PM by J.Miller »
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM