It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: O2 Sensors.........  (Read 8103 times)

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
O2 Sensors.........
« on: December 07, 2006, 07:58:46 PM »

Some thoughts on O2 sensors;
 Basically there are 2  on each bank , before (upstream), and after (downstream),the converter. The downstream ones arent critical.... they just tell you the cats are working or not (MIL ) The upstream ones are  the ones that give you fuel trims , and run the car in closed loop. Per Lonnie Doll, who is arguably one of the best practical tuners of Fords in the world, by his own admission, you should ALLWAYS use OEM Ford  O2 sensors ...... Well lets modify that some , and say at least on the upstream ones, and be doubly sure that they are the exact calibration for your model and year.   I would not try to use  Autozone or advanced auto one size fits all ("But theyre very good Bosch sensors!") as the upstream sensors ...
Now, you frequently can clean them and get a better performance , and xtra miles out of them. You need to use a LP torch ,like a Bernz o Matic.... but no hotter torches as there is risk of damageing the  sensors. There is a "basket " around the actual sensor to protect it. Usually there is black soot on the basket... mine had a rusty orange
coating. Never saw that before, hmmmm? must have been some of the crappy gas I have seen around here lately (too much sulfur) , or possibly some leaded gas in the system alomng the line? Anyhow I carefully set the torch to a slightly smaller , rounded blue flame , and gingerly passed the sensors basket over it, till it just started glowing a dull red, then moved on to 'anudder' spot, beinbg careful to not over heat the thing...bright red is kinda much. Heres a before pic

Heres an after pic

Was there a difference? you bet yer A55!! before it was kinda flat feeling, now sharper reaction to throttle , stronger, and more POWER!! the butt 0 meter said outstanding! My guess, no codes , about 30 K on the sensors, would have lit up in a few thousand more, now I think maybe 10 to 20000 miles more of service , and abetter performing car to boot.
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
Re: O2 Sensors.........
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 09:32:33 PM »
Addendum: the first  tank after the the sensors were cleaned went up from 12.8 to 14.2 mpg... considering I blew thru about a half of that tank before cleaning, that shows a significant gain.... More, later...............
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 11:17:13 AM »
I do not know how many times people have blamed idle problems on the Idle Air Control valve when in fact it was the O2 sensor.  Yea, the O2 sensor is hard to get to but it should be cleaned every now and then...  :o
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 11:36:52 AM »
Hard to get to? My custom exhaust system was designed for even me to pop them out in a heartbeat... 8)

(note; when building a custom exhaust, you can actually put the things in a convenient place even though it doesn't conform to ford engineering and design  practices) ;D
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 11:14:52 PM »
I do not know how many times people have blamed idle problems on the Idle Air Control valve when in fact it was the O2 sensor.  Yea, the O2 sensor is hard to get to but it should be cleaned every now and then...  :o
My nephew called and wanted me to look at his car stalling at a traffic lights or at idle 95 Crown Vic 4.6L first thing I did was to check for vacuum leaks none check the IAC still was not sure keep stalling for the fun of it I wanted to check his plugs. I pulled the front plug on each side one was lean other was fowled so we got a fresh set of plugs I then removed his o2 sensors and did the :jake: method to clean them an it worked I was sure that it was going to bed the IAC but he was dumping so much gas into bank 1 he was not get a complete burn
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 10:09:09 AM »

[/quote]
 I then removed his o2 sensors and did the :larry: method to clean them an it worked I was sure that it was going to bed the IAC but he was dumping so much gas into bank 1 he was not get a complete burn
[/quote]

Haw!! It worked ! .... The "old guy" has picked up a few tricks not in the books along the way, Huh? You can tell your nephew that it may be good for up to maybe 20,000 mi. but may not work the next time. Glad it worked out this time............
:jake:
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 11:05:07 AM »
Ya he is a bus mechanic for greyhound and when he saw how I was going to clean the o2 sensors he thought I was crazy I did tell him it was a temporary fix he was going to get the OEM sensors
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Gold Cougar

• Match Box
    • The Ford Family
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 01:38:55 PM »
Hey guys,
I know its a bit late on this, but I wanted to follow up with something I found about o2 sensors.  If you are going to take them out, here is an easy way to test them.  They can be tested while in the car, but not as easy if out of the car.
from: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/O2sensors.html

"Testing O2 sensors on the workbench.

Use a high impedance DC voltmeter as above. Clamp the sensor in a vice, or use a plier or vice-grip to hold it. Clamp your negative voltmeter lead to the case, and the positive to the output wire. Use a propane torch set to high and the inner blue flame tip to heat the fluted or perforated area of the sensor. You should see a DC voltage of at least 0.6 within 20 seconds. If not, most likely cause is open circuit internally or lead fouling. If OK so far, remove from flame. You should see a drop to under 0.1 volt within 4 seconds. If not likely silicone fouled. If still OK, heat for two full minutes and watch for drops in voltage. Sometimes, the internal connections will open up under heat. This is the same a loose wire and is a failure. If the sensor is OK at this point, and will switch from high to low quickly as you move the flame, the sensor is good. Bear in mind that good or bad is relative, with port fuel injection needing faster information than carbureted systems.

ANY O2 sensor that will generate 0.9 volts or more when heated, show 0.1 volts or less within one second of flame removal, AND pass the two minute heat test is good regardless of age. When replacing a sensor, don't miss the opportunity to use the test above on the replacement. This will calibrate your evaluation skills and save you money in the future. There is almost always *no* benefit in replacing an oxygen sensor that will pass the test in the first line of this paragraph."

Thanks again :jake: for the write up.
1994 Cougar XR7
3.8l
Stock

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 09:34:58 PM »
Tanks for the info.  Good stuff...  Did :jake: admit what caused his bad O2's yet.  Humm...  I think it was a hose disconnected at his vacuum canister purge? :-[
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

kingfish2004

• Match Box
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 12:32:19 AM »
Ok so what is so good about a Ford dealer O2 vs. a Bosch O2?  I have been using Bosch in my cars for years. 
I ask as I need to replace my two front sensors very soon.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 02:17:32 PM »
Ok so what is so good about a Ford dealer O2 vs. a Bosch O2?  I have been using Bosch in my cars for years. 
I ask as I need to replace my two front sensors very soon.
I was told that the tolerance range was closer in the OEM than the Bosch. I all so had better luck with the OEM.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 10:33:12 PM »
Welcome to ECRTcc!    :brnt:

Most Ford O2 sensors have a thermally conditioned tip and stainless steel ceramic shield to increase service life.  They have dual internal seals to prevent internal leaks and contamination.  The stainless steel hex shell and sleeve in many of the Ford O2 sensors improve performance in high temperature applications.

Still every now and then you can have a problem with even Ford O2's.  Keep your receipts just in case.
 :afto2:

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 02:05:59 PM »
OEM  parts are almost always better than aftermarket. i do believe that ford contracts another company to make thier 02 sensors, but i have used bosch brand and have had them go bad on me pretty quick. since then i only use ford.
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

1990 Thunderbird Soupercoupe
103k miles
black on black