It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: A Thunderbird experiance!  (Read 670 times)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
A Thunderbird experiance!
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:14:05 PM »
I was on my way to pick up Fat :MrT: to go to the car show on Saturday and I had Fast Freddies car.  He let me borrow it because he dropped my car off at the shop to get the hood painted.  I figured that I would take it back to Freddies house after the show. Of course his car is not exactly stock.  He has a 3.8L V6 that it looks like it was hooked up for Nitros  :nos: and big tires.  No no...  That is not enough for :curley:.  He has to take it further and remove the mechanical fan.

A normal person would install an automatic fan temperature controller.  But not :curley:, he has to make it an experience to drive his car.  So he hooked up his fan to a mechanical switch.

Oh yes in deedie, you have to drive down the road and watch the temperature and turn on and off the fan as the heat index requires.  Do not get me wrong, this can be an educational experience for those who want to learn the fan strategy of an MN12 but to me it is a PITA!

Driving this car was like flying a F-16 Fighter.  Switching this on and off based on the gauges.  Egads...  Minus well remove the EEC in entirely and control the entire car manually???

Well...   After driveuing my Cougar for a number of years and keeping the temperature low I am all confused on what is the best temperature to keep this  :censor: car at!!!  It is safe to say, I left the fan for a 1/2 hour trying to keep it cooler than it needed to be...  and bam!!!  It caught on fire and the fuse blew...  So here I am on the way to a show having to fix Freddies car...

But alas he has many Tunderbirds and was perpared because I found several toolboxes in the trunk!!
:doo:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 06:58:40 PM by J.Miller »
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: A Thunderbird experiance!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 07:19:06 AM »
The above picture is a dramatization...  By the time the camera was pulled out of the car the work was almost complete.

Here is the part after I forced a fuse on it.  As you can see the connections are burnt as well as the housing that once covered the fuse.

Here it is after a little electrical tape...

Because the wires were burnt they will no longer be able to hold the current load.  This was a temporary solution.  The fuse holder needs to to be replaced.  So I purchased a new one on the way home.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 06:27:34 PM by J.Miller »
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
Re: A Thunderbird experiance!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 01:52:39 PM »
Why does :freddie: like the manual switchs for his electic fan why not put a Fan-relay and automate it so you don't have to worry about overheating the motor.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.