birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: stumped...looking for ideas  (Read 904 times)

03expyeb

• Johnny Bling Bling
  • Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
SUPERCHARGED 5.4L 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer: 03 harley supercharger with 6lb lower pulley, k&n panel filter, magnaflow catback exhaust. 339 RWHP, 440 RW FT-LBS TQ. YEAH BABY!!

Acton Lincoln-Mercury
978-893-1127

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: stumped...looking for ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 12:18:14 PM »
all i can tell you is i pulled up to a stop sign, and the truck shut off. no warning or anything. turns out it was the fusebox, but in the process, it somehow wiped the pcm of all memory. the tech reloaded the pcm with all the latest updates and calibrations, and that is where the problem lies with the xcal II. it thinks i am trying to use it on a different vehicle. my tuner said to mail it to him, and he has to send it in to sct to be unlocked, and then he can reload the tunes and mail it back. not a quick process from what i understand. anywho, he said he has a chip there that i can plug into the service port of my pcm to get the truck to run properly until the xcal comes back, and then i will just mail back his chip. so, in theory, i should be driving the truck home after my shift tuesday. so, $110 for a new fusebox, i'm guessing 3-4 hours labor @ $65/hr with all the tracing the bad wire down and the install, and about 1 week rental($25/day) when all said and done.

UPDATE: i finally got the tune all set yesterday. finally left work with the vehicle after 11 days. got 3/4 of the way home, and the truck shut off at a stop sign. no crank/no start....couldnt even put it in nuetral for the tow truck. towed back to the shop, and they will look at it later today.

turned out that the ignition fuse blew in the brand new fuse box. tech installed a new fuse, and has been driving around for a good 45 minutes....with no additional problems. HOPEFULLY i am all set now.

Though you believe you solved the problem I have a concern.  There is a chance that the ignition switch could be wearing out causing a short.  I would consider checking up on some service records on ignition switch failures.  Since the fuse blew I believe you still have a problem.  Do you have a special key or switch?  Pictures???

The part where you PCM lost it's memory seems weird.  Could be a bug in the SCT program?  Who knows this bug could have saved you a PCM???  ^-^
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

03expyeb

• Johnny Bling Bling
  • Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 12:26:58 PM »
the truck does use the PATS keys. i will talk to them about the ignition switch. as far as the pcm losing memory...the tech chased a high ground resistance issue bac to the fusebox. replaced fuesbox, seemed ok. just had to reload pcm info.
SUPERCHARGED 5.4L 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer: 03 harley supercharger with 6lb lower pulley, k&n panel filter, magnaflow catback exhaust. 339 RWHP, 440 RW FT-LBS TQ. YEAH BABY!!

Acton Lincoln-Mercury
978-893-1127

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 08:25:35 PM »
My wife's 95 Lumina had the same type of key and the chip wore out form time to time causing problems.  The solution could be as simple as replacing the key.  But with the POS Lumina we had required us to replace both the key and the switch.   :(

Here is a diagnostic I found that may be useful:

Fault Finding
Although the red LED is used for the alarm and the PATS system, PATS has priority, and the LED can be used for fault diagnosis. The LED should always go out about three seconds after ignition on.

If there are less than three keys programmed into the PATS module the LED will stay on for one minute with the engine running, but if the LED flashes after that then careful attention should be paid because it may be a fault code.

The following checks can be made without special tools:
The engine does not start and LED remains off.1. Check PATS system fuses 
2. If alarm is fitted check if LED functions for alarm: if not check cigar lighter fuse (also used for LED)
Engine does not start: LED flashes rapidly                      Leave ignition on until the LED starts to flash a 2 digit code: (sequence- pause-sequence) Check the following codes:
Code flashes: 
1:3                                                          Key code not received. Is key screened by other keys or objects? Try different key: if okay then first key is faulty.
1:4                                                                         Partial code only received. Try again. If not okay use different key.
1:5                                                                         Key not programmed into PATS. Program key as above using master
1:6                                                                         Faulty link between PATS module and EECV

If the LED illuminates for 4 seconds but the engine does not crank, PATS is working correctly and there is a fault elsewhere. Try starter solenoid or battery.

If the LED illuminates for 4 seconds and the engine cranks but does not start, PATS is working correctly and the fault lies elsewhere. Check the Fuel Cut-Off switch.

If the above does not plan out you need to have the tech run the special tool (WDS)...  >:D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 08:30:51 PM by J.Miller »
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM