It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Pinstriping 101... How we pinstriped my 97 Mercury Cougar!  (Read 4131 times)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Pinstriping 101... How we pinstriped my 97 Mercury Cougar!
« on: June 16, 2007, 07:06:32 PM »
This is going to be a multi-part post covering how to pinstripe a car.  We all remember the last time I installed pinstripping on a car.  :freddie: called it a ten (10) footer.  From ten feet away it looked nice but any closer you saw the waves.   :-[

This time Robert will to do the deed.  He is much better at it and is known for his Eagle eye!  O0

Here is my retro 1997 30th Anniversary Mercury Cougar.  For some time now Robert and I have been discussing changing her from the old "Ethnic" design to a retro Cat...  The car is painted with a 70's style gold and the hood, mirrors and spoiler are mat black.  As you can see something is missing.

First we are going to try some test pin stripes.  Here is a grey double pinstripe.

Here is a thick black single pinstripe:

Here is a light burgundy double pinstripe.

The grey was too light and was not noticable.  The black was too gaudy...  We decided that burgundy was close to the color we want.  It matches the embroidery on the seats and the 30th Anniversary logo!  Possibly a shade darker.  Not lighter.

The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Pinstriping 101... How we pinstriped my 97 Mercury Cougar!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 10:23:37 PM »
The stripe I finally choose was dark Burgundy double line single color.

My car has not been waxed since it was painted so all I had to do was clean the joint.  If wax is involved you need to clean the application area with rubbing alcohol.

The pinstripe tape has plastic on the bottom to preserve the glue on the bottom of the tape.  There is a membrane on the top of the tape that protects the tape when applying the tape.  It takes a good eye and a steady hand to apply pin striping tape.  Once slip and you start over!

A little of the end is peeled off so that the stripe can be applied to the front.

Lightly touch the end and work the tape.

Work it down gently.  Notice how his head is angled so that he has a direct bead on the stripe...

You need to press it in at the edges of the door.

Work it down and keep it straight.

The tape must have tension at all times...

Particular attention is being made at the edges of the door.

Some say this is an art.  I agree...

Care must be taken to the end so that the stripe is straight!

Hang a little off the end...  That will be adjusted later!

Work out the bubbles in the tape a little...

Then remove the outer film while insuring that he tape is pressed in on the car.

A little razor blade trimming... 

Bend and trim the tape...

Wala!  The end looks good.

Gentle pressing with the razor blade is all that is needed.

A little off the door will make sure that she does not want to peel off...

A nip...

A little trimming.

Look at the ends they are smooth...

After you are done take a clean rag and press down the surface...  There may be some bubbles left that can be pressed out.

It is recommended to press it again with a clean rag.  If you find a bubble pop it with a needle and apply

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 07:32:22 PM by J.Miller »
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Pinstriping 101... How we pinstriped my 97 Mercury Cougar!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 10:25:07 PM »
We are not done.  The razor blade may have cut the surface a little and the tape can peel off in the elements.  It is a good idea to apply some clear nail polish.  Call the wife or girl friend before spending a buck!   ;D

Apply a small dab of the clear finger nail polish at all the ends...

Here are the final results. 

As you walk towards the car the strips are more noticeable.

When you get close it looks like there are three stripes.  But there are only two.

Now that was a perfect match!   :-X  Time to drink a few beers! :alchol:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 07:32:52 PM by J.Miller »