birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: crankshaft i think.(new problem)  (Read 1840 times)

fallen4

• Match Box
crankshaft i think.(new problem)
« on: June 28, 2007, 07:46:48 PM »
hey i pulled the plugs because the crank wasnt turnin.so i crank it with the spark plugs out and no air blows out does that mean the crank it broke?and it blew air out the right one near the back.then no more.the starter turns the flywheel...any ideas?

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: crankshaft i think.(new problem)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 08:27:56 PM »
I never broke a crank before but it could be.  Running it is a state of repair could do the job?  O2 removed and vaccum leaks can cause here to run rich and not be a good thing.

You can take off the heads and look at the pistons to check?

If you will will need to ask your self a question:  You purchased an incomplete car that blew up before it was road worthy.  The tune was not done and who knows what else was messed up?  Do you get another 5.4L or do you put a 4.6L back in, save your money for the girls and get on the road..   ::)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 08:33:56 PM by J.Miller »
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

fallen4

• Match Box
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:36:41 PM »
so are you saying sell it?

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 08:52:35 PM »
I do not know your history with the car.  I looked for pictures and could not find them.  But if the crank is shot so is the engine.  With my limited experience on your situation I am leaning towards he dumped the car on you. 

If your crank is shot you can get another engine and start over.  But then you will still have to fix what ever was broken in the first place.  So the choice comes down to how determined you are to put a 5.4L in, your mechanical skill level and how much money you want to spend.

Say you spent $2,000 on the car.  Now another 4.6 or 5.4 engine can cost you $3,000 (est) then you  still have to fix it.  If you have to pay others to do the work you can spend like $5,000.  You can get a SC for less...  Or you can get another MN12 or a Stang for less throw some NOX in and have fun...  What I am saying is that if the crank is busted the whole thing can be a big fat money pit.

It is your car and you will have to decide for yourself.  :'(
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

fallen4

• Match Box
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 09:09:07 PM »
well the crank must have just broke today...ive had it runnin.i had it runnin yesturday...

fallen4

• Match Box
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 11:33:46 PM »
so wat do you guys think i should do i think my parents will let me borrow 1000 dollars?do you guys think i can fix it with that??

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 07:24:15 AM »
You can get a crankshaft for around $300.  But then you will have to do the work.  When you tear down the engine you may find other problems.  Rods may be damaged too.  Then if you want nitros minus well go with forged internal rods & pistons.  That is like $1,600.  Hard core if you ask me!   :(

I think it will be easier if you confirm your problem and look for a replacement engine if the crank is broken   If you find another 5.4L get the wiring harness too.  Install the engine, wiring harness and computer and leave your T-Bird EEC for the transmission and everything else.  Or simply get a 4.6L PI engine, bolt it in and get a mail order chip.

I do not think you can get an engine for $1,000 unless you know someone at a junk yard.  :-\

fallen4

• Match Box
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 11:13:14 AM »
im not planning on forged pistons...i found a crank for 150.and how much would the pi engine run?

fallen4

• Match Box
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 11:13:41 AM »
and would it have more power than the 5.4?

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 02:21:47 PM »
If you want to keep your car the easiest and less expensive way I would do it is to get an 2003 Explorer 4.6L motor and start from there you should be able to pick one up that runs for 1,500.00
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

fallen4

• Match Box
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 03:29:20 PM »
well i cant get that much...i guess im gonna have to get rid of it or part it out.

fallen4

• Match Box
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 05:42:57 PM »
its gonna cost me over 600 to replace it...so should i part it or sell it as a whole?

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 07:47:41 PM »
Which every way is quicker or more profitable.  Do some research.  If you part it out you will need to make sure you have a place to junk what is left.   :-X

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 11:20:12 AM »
FYI:  An easier way to verify if the crankshaft is broken is to remove the spark plugs, disconnect the plugs from the wires and put long wooden dowels in the holes.  You can get them at a crafts/ hobby store.  Make sure they can move up and down.  Turn the crank and see if they bob up and down.  Watch out they can become a projectile...  and hurt someone... So take precautions!!!!   :-[  Only the front and rear need to be checked...
 :-[ :-[ :-[

mylittleblackbird

• Match Box
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 10:58:33 AM »
I'd question how long/far you drove it without exhaust.  No exhaust means no O2 sensor.  No O2 sensor causes the computer to do what?  Run rich or lean?  Additionally I don't think you could break a crankshaft until you put down some insane power, or spun the engine too hard.  It sounds like it's missing badly.  I would lean more towards a piston that got popped over a broken crankshaft.  Perhaps a broken rod even.  Either one of those would be a lot of work to replace as well.  Drain the oil, and see if it has metal in it.  Also, you could have not felt any air come out of the cylinder at the time due to the cam position holding a valve open for that cylinder.  Does the oil smell like gasoline?  These are just some things that come to mind as I read through two threads about this.

*edit*
A 4.6L tune would run the car lean, and without O2 sensors to correct for the lean burn, you could torch a piston.

*edit*
Also, when you have it running well, go EASY on it.  That poor 95 trans....  It won't know what hit it!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 11:05:12 AM by mylittleblackbird »
I'm not interested in any BS when I ask a question, I just want facts.