It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Power Antenna Install in a MN12!!  (Read 2056 times)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Power Antenna Install in a MN12!!
« on: June 21, 2007, 09:33:08 AM »
My 1997 Cougar did not come with a power antenna.  Instead it had a fixed mast antenna used for the cell phone that was removed from the car before I purchased it.  I missed the power antenna from my 1995 Cougar so I did a little research.  I look at the following schematic and thought this looks easy...

Here is the procedure I used to remove the system from the 95 Cougar:
1)   Lower the antenna.
2)   Lower the glove box door and remove the glove box door by prying off the clip and snapping the support from the ball.

3)   Remove rear retaining screws of RH (passengers side) front wheel splash shield for access to antenna lower retaining bolt.

4)   Remove the radio.

5)   Disconnect the antenna cable and wire (1 and 2 respectfully).

6)   Open the passenger side door and remove the lower retaining bolt and keep the associated hardware (5 & 6 above).  The mounting hole through the fender is still in the 97 so you do not have to worry about locating the antenna.
7)   Remove radio antenna nut (3 & 4 above) from top of motor tube and remove electric antenna through fender/splash shield access.
8)   Disconnect the Automatic Power Antenna Module and remove the wires from the back of the radio.

9)   Pull the antenna wiring through fender well.  be careful not to break anything.  You will have to pull one through at a time starting with the cable.
10)   Start at one end and tug on the wiring to locate it.  Once located take an exacto knife and remove any electrical tape or clips that are in the way.  I started from the fender and worked back to the radio.  This job took some time because there was so much electrical tape involved.  It can take an hour or two...

Installation is a bolt in.  All you have to remember is to tighten antenna module retaining screw on  top of the fender to 2.7-3.7 N-m (24-32 lb-in).
Installation is much easier than the initial removal of the antenna since you do not have to put on as much electrical tape on as the factory did.  Just a wrap every foot or so to keep things together.  Some small wire ties are useful too...

Here is the final result:

The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM