It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Cat threw a code  (Read 1674 times)

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
Cat threw a code
« on: December 02, 2006, 11:39:48 AM »
OK my cougar threw a P430 Code insufficient flow in bank 2. I had recently swapped the intake and found that the plugs for bank 2 where running rich and had carbon deposits on them. The cats and Y pipe where replaced 29,000 miles could the cats go bad that fast or do you think it is the O2 sensors. What do you think?
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Cat threw a code
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 12:17:30 PM »
Ford sez:

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) P0430 and P0431 indicate that bank 2 catalyst system efficiency is below the acceptable threshold.

You have not:

(1)   Refueled vehicle with leaded gasoline.

(2)   Noticed high vehicle oil consumption.

Possible causes:

--   Use of leaded fuel.

--   Oil contamination.

--   Cylinder misfiring  --  Check for bad spark plugs or bad plug wires.  This may have been a pre-exisintg code? Spark timing retarded below specification can increase exhaust gas temperature and decrease catalyst efficiency over time.

--   Damaged HO2S - Incorrect HO2S signal input (e.g. rich/lean input signal when the engine is operating under lean/rich conditions) can cause an abnormal temperature increase in the catalyst.

--   Damaged ECT sensor - ECT sensor DTCs can indicate that the thermostat is not operating correctly or that the engine coolant level is not filled to specification, producing above normal operating temperatures.

--   Downstream HO2S wires improperly connected.

--   Fuel pressure too high - compensation for a bad FPR.

--   Damaged exhaust system pipe.

--   Damaged exhaust manifold.

--   Damaged muffler/tailpipe assembly.

--   Damaged catalytic converter - Internal deterioration of a catalytic converter is usually caused by abnormal engine operation upstream of the catalyst. Events that can produce higher than normal temperatures in the catalyst are particularly suspect. For example, misfiring can cause higher than normal catalyst operating temperatures.

Good luck...  :shute:
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 12:39:03 PM »
Its not the fuel
I don't burn any oil
replaced plus and wires
spark timing would need to be dyno tuned
O2 sensors are possible haven't checked them yet
Exhaust system well if damaged I'll put in a dual exhaust system with x pipe (wanted to wait for the new motor).
Fuel pressure reg I'll need a gauge
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 03:54:47 PM »
Insufficient flow, so it (ECU) tried to richen up the fuel trims, but got a lean signal from the 02 sensor still, and youve got wet plugs plus an ECU Crying for help :o(MIL).. pretty much sez theres a problem with upstream 02 sensor to me :'( . Pull the sensor and clean her with a LP torch , see if that makes things right... I 'yamn cheap O0 , so that's a first step... If no go, buy a set, Save the other one after cleaning , and by all means buy gen. Ford for the upstream sensors, you'll never regret it.
Good Luck.
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 10:46:34 PM »
I will do that since I already checked most of the other stuff out tomorrow is suppose to be a better day (warmer) so I get under the car and check the exhaust and the O2 sensors. :thanks:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 10:52:56 PM by rjstat »
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 08:57:43 PM »
well. if you have the ability to look at cones, can you monitor pids?

if you do you can look at the switch rate of the upstream 02 sensors in relation to the short term fuel trim.

ideally an o2 sensor will switch around stoich, or about .45 volts. higher average voltage means the vehicle is running rich, and therefore the short term fuel trim will decrease along with the injector pulse width. if the average is below stoich the vehicle has a lean condition and the short term fuel trim will go up, along with the injector pulse width.

with that information you could compare the good bank to the bad bank and see whats wrong

but my opinion would be to swap the o2s with new ones, they are only about 50 bucks a piece and its not like they never go bad, i have been through several on my 88 cougar.

you say you swapped your intake a little while ago. did you use silicone for anything? if an o2 gets any silicone in it, its as good as dead.
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

1990 Thunderbird Soupercoupe
103k miles
black on black

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 09:26:34 PM »
No I did not use silicone just put some never-seize on spark plugs. Had the same problem before the intake change another mechanic said the gas passes where full of carbon and the intake needed to be replaced. Well it has been done and still have the problem. I picked up the O2 sensors and will install them this weekend. I'm flat out till then. I'll keep you informed. Oh nice to see you aboard Kev :thanks:
:ralph:
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.