It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Installing a 5.4L DOHC in a Thunderbird Collective Thoughts...  (Read 11982 times)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Installing a 5.4L DOHC in a Thunderbird Collective Thoughts...
« on: September 06, 2007, 08:09:54 PM »
Here are my collective thoughts based on pictures sent to me by Mark P.   O0

Attempting to perform this swap is the responsibility of the person who attempts and the author claims no responsibility.  With that said lets look at it...

As with the 5.4L SOHC the DOHC hits the brake booster.

There are two school's of thought here:
1.  Hit the booster with a hammer to allow for room.
2.  Replace the brake booster with a 95 3.8L non-ABS unit.  It is not as big.

The oil pan hits the frame and causes a gap with the motor mounts.

It will fit if you install a 97/98 Mark/ Cobra oil pump, 97/98 Mark VIII pickup tube, along with a 93+ mark VIII oil pan.

Of course after installing the pan you have to put the engine on it's belly, rotate it and trim the oil pan fins as required.

The motor mounts must be solid aluminum just likes the ones I made for the 5.4L SOHC.

There is a tight fit for the valve covers...

I would look at cutting some metal from the strut towers and welding plates back a tad.  I will use 1/4" or thicker plate with some extra internal reinforcement...  Beef it up!!!!  This may or may not be required but it sure looks like the passenger sides needs a trim...   :o

Headers will not easily fit.  Even Kooks headers for a 4.6L will not fit.

Headers will need to be custom welded to fit.  Not a problem if you can find an old school muffler man...  Someone like Archie Myers...

What about the intake?

:larry: (may he rest in peace) and I provided some tech support for HPS Hardball'r when they developed the 4.6L intake.   At the time they were going to make a wider version for the 5.4L 2V SOHC. I guess there was not enough interest...  Needless to say they do offer adaptor plates for the 5.4L.

One of the suggestions we had was to make it so that the runner length can be shortened. I am under the opinion that a N/A 2V SOHC 5.4L engine will operate best with somewhere between 8.5 and 9" runner length.  This is why I say that this intake may be the best selection...

The HPS Hardball'r will not fit under a stock hood but She may be low enough to fit under a modified cowl hood. Just like my 5.4L SOHC hood but with a small bump...

Lets drop her in...

She sure looks like she may be able to fit???  I dunno...  ???

The electronics should be done just like a 4.6L DOHC swap.    ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 08:40:41 AM by J.Miller »
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
Re: Installing a 5.4L DOHC in a Thunderbird Collective Thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 03:37:29 PM »
AND I THOUGHT A 460 WAS A TIGHT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 08:39:45 AM »
Getting that in there without modifying the strut towers may be possible...
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 04:19:01 PM »
I don't no that is real tight is there any room for mount flex could any mod be made to mod the K member
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 02:49:21 AM »
YES!!!   A normal K-member kit should help with oil pan and exhaust clearance...   A k-member can be made that will drop the engine for some hood clearance.  Of course sacrificing some ground clearance.  Could be an issue if you plan to lower the car...

We have several options with a K-Member:

1.  Buy one outright - Good starting point though it may have to be adjusted...  ;)
A place that does make k-members for Birds and Cats is AJR Racing.  Cost over a grand.

You will need the L-member, the A-arms... possibly a spindle...

There is one for sale over the SCCoA. for $700.  But this may be a kit for a 93- 351W swap...

Here are some picts...

Other options are a coil over kit, transmission crossmember and possibly have to adjust the pinion angle in the rear end..

2.  Modify one-  There are limitations   :o
Here Bruce installed a 393 Stroker and he modified his K-member to keep the oil pan.

Here Dave  Dalke installed a 347 stroker and modified his K-Member...

3.  Coax a master welder like Fast :freddie: into making one- The ideal solution...  :-[
If you make your own then you just may be able to lower the engine.  Possibly raise the suspension a tad to maintain ground clearance (other mods may be required).  More thought required on this one...  But you get the point...  Looking at the pictures, if you lower the engine then you have a better chance of not modifying the strut towers...   O0

What ever you do powder coat it...

Though I lowered my 5.4L SOHC into my engine bay, Ford recommends that the 4.6L engine is lifted into the car.  A 5.4L DOHC just may be so wide that a bottom-up engine install may be easier...     ::)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 07:12:03 AM »
The 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 has in interesting intake.  I wonder how high it is?  It may be lower than my SOHC intake...

Supercharged 5.4-Liter?The Shelby's supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V8 is similar to the engine in the GT. Ford started with the cast-iron 5.4-liter Triton V8 truck engine and added aluminum heads from the GT, specially calibrated camshafts, a Roots-type supercharger making 8.5 pounds of boost, and a water-to-air intercooler.??Under that blower is an all-new low-profile intake manifold, which allows the engine to fit under the GT500's special air-extraction hood. The intake manifold is also special built to be extra low-profile to allow more room for the supercharger.  Fuel comes from a dual-bore electronic throttle body borrowed from Ford's 6.8-liter truck engine program, however, the larger radiator, increased-capacity cooling system and the exhaust manifolds are unique to this application.

That's a supercharged 450-plus-horsepower, 5.4-liter V8.
(Photo courtesy of Ford Motor Company)

more info

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 07:36:36 PM »
You buy a 4.6L to 5.4L air intake manifold adaptor from Professional Products.  This kit will raise the intake approx.  1/2".

p/n:  54110
Price:  $240
 O0
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 07:43:40 PM by J.Miller »

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 07:20:29 PM »
Update.  Sullivan Performance is now making a fuel injected 5.4L DOHC intake manifold with a throttle body adaptor.

:clap:

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 09:15:27 AM »
Well...  Some where someone is bashing my 5.4L SOHC install.  It is obvious by all the links...  Funny thing is that I never intended to install a DOHC in my car.   This is someone else's project...   Guys get a life, harassing me to do something I have little interest in doing (like proving you wrong) does not interest me.  So what you do not have the skills to make your own intake?  I have no plans to update the heads and headers on my car... just because you like to pound your chest.  :lunie:

If you want to prove me wrong spend your own money and buy the HPS Hardball'r 5.4L intake, slap on trick flow heads with 5.4L specific cams, get a real toon and a good flowing exhaust and stomp 4.6L's at your leisure.   ;D

I know the HPS intake will fit under the stock hood.  As long as the trick flow heads are stock size the who enchilada should fit...

But I tell you one thing, my 5.4L SOHC is no tame kitty, She was made for the highway and dominates many newer cars.  It an enjoyable torque monster to drive and does her job well when a j/k tries to play games...
 :)