birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Refurbishing rubber trim.....  (Read 5116 times)

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
Refurbishing rubber trim.....
« on: December 22, 2006, 12:03:07 AM »
 ;)
 TRIM REFURBISHMENT

Trim on my old bird was getting pretty tatty... Sun, rain , road debris, weather changes have all taken thier toll over the years. What to do? Well , the two longitudinal strips that form the sides of the windows, and go up over the top of the car , concealing a panel separation, have been replaced with the windshield, and are pretty durable anyhow .... The top strip,on the windshield, is mostly rubber as is the top strip on the rear window, and the rear quarter window mounting trim... It makes no sense to replace that when its easily refurbed... The lower rear window strip is stainless with a thin coating of  vynil which just doesnt hold uop well, I chose to refurb that as well, but with not as good results. I used Duplicolor black bumper spray, which is sort of a rubber compound.The trick is to clean/buff the strips pretty clean and smooth. I used denatured alcohol, and vynil gloves to remove the armor all residue, dirt, etc, then buffed them with green , and white scotch brite pads. The lower didnt come out too good on the backlite, as it was too far eroded.... Looks like wrinkle paint . Not bad, not so good either.I used one whole newspaper and a whole roll of masking tape.

Thats tough for me these days as the bifocals do not lend themselves well to masking precisely. After cleaning , then masking , I shot the parts to refurb with a generous coat of the bumper black, and let it dry over nite. another shot in the morning and  remove the masking that afternoon .

It looks pretty good huh? I think a couple more shots would add "build'', and cover a few more minor blems, but I am satisfied with what I got......
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:08:24 AM by Jake »
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
Re: Refurbishing rubber trim.....
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 07:32:18 AM »
:jake: the wrinkle look you have could be that the paint etched into the plastic window trim. Sometimes on certain plastic depending on there mix of resins will etch with some lacquer base paints I have had good luck using dupli-color trim black which was developed for plastic and rubber trim pieces. UV erosion is a big problem with plastics drying it out shrinking and cracking and this also would contribute to your problem.
:ralph:
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 08:47:18 AM »
Gee...  Getting all fancy and such.  You outta start hanging with your bud Scott???    O0  I bet he can show you a pointer or two?   :nana:

I guess you used Bumper Black paint?
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »

I guess you used Bumper Black paint?

Iguess you didnt read the post ::) :-\... I said...... "I used Duplicolor Black Bumper Spray: O0
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:41:22 PM »
:jake: you no :miller: went to the Evelyn Woods speed reader and only takes important info out of the post. Plus he's waiting for pnyklr to show up on the site.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 09:05:14 AM »
he's waiting for Pinkey to show up on the site.

Well dont hold your breath, :miller:. panty kinkie would never have the stones to register, and take the abuse he has ;) EARNED.
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 09:36:34 AM »
Good tech is a terrible thing to waste...   :brnt:

How about staying on topic here guys??   :offt:
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 09:52:55 AM »
I thought there was no mods here. Just kidding :miller:
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 03:15:35 PM »
ON THE FRONT AND BACK WINDSHIELDS  ;DUPPER AND LOWER RUBBER WITH THE METAL TRIM UNDER IT ::) I REMOVED THE BACK RUBBER AND LOOKS LIKE CHROME NOW O0
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 07:03:45 AM »
So if you removed the paint the trim will look like it was chrome plated?   :o

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 04:18:50 PM »
CHECK OUT PICS OF MY CARS O0
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!