birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Florida, Yulee Cafe.  (Read 2595 times)

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
Florida, Yulee Cafe.
« on: December 07, 2006, 01:16:25 PM »
Thing about Fla. is there really aren't many decent places to eat here. Ya sure, there are some chains , the same as any place along the Highway; Ruby Tuesdays, Olive Garden , Longhorn Steakhouse, Chilli's, etc....Thing is they're all commissary supplied mostly fair at best, and boring after a while.... Off the beaten path , every once in a while you'll find a good place. Down by the Homosassa River, in Old Homosassa, (as opposed to Homosassa Springs, up by the highway) There's a place called the Yulee Restaraunt. It's a tumbled down place, seen better days, full of coke bottle trinkets and memorabelia, shoddy at best, but the food is cooked to order! The menu is limited , the hours are limited as well ..Open all week , except Wednesday, 6 A.M. to 1 PM, sometimes 2 P.m.
It's closed anytime Holly , the owner takes a whim.... There aren't too  many tables, and the one kinda in the crook of the counter, Is sorta reserved for  "the Good Ole Boys" I have eaten there for about 8 years off and on, so I can now sit there once in a while without getting in too much trouble.
Most of the time someone will sit there with hunting cammo gear on. You see, it's Poaching season all year round , and these people are going to eat!! Yup , its that sort of a place, but theres a decent breakfeast done whatever way you want it. But don't sit at the G.O.B. table unless you are known and know more than a few as nodding acquaintences . Talk will be about them "Danmn Yankee Carpetbaggers, crooked politicians , the "Danmn Coast guard, Marine Patrol, or Wildlife Officers".....Do not even mention the Federal Wildlife Officers protecting the manatee and such, or you may start a mini riot!! The Southern accent is really good here, and a steady customer will learn to speak southern. It's a local place with Rich city fellers  a passin' through to get in some charter fishing with one of the local captains, or perhaps launch their own boat to pile it up on the rocks (its a treacherous river to learn, and rich city fellers never, ever learn!). I enjoy my 3 eggs over easy with well done taters, a double order of crisp bacon, wheat toast, and a side of sausage gravy (the coffee is not something to write home about, but it will pass) and listening to the comings and goings in this little fishing village thats growing too fast.
Yup, growing too fast, so Holly has put up the restaraunt and some adjacent property shared with her siblings for sale. It will be a sad day when the Queen of Homosassa closes the doors a final time and the stories , the characters, and the recited history is finally put to rest......Better hurry; there are still a few cups of coffee , a few hotcakes to be served , and a few  more laughs to be shared , but it will go fast.
'95 T-Bird 5.4L blower and sum stuff
13.6sec 1/4 mi, 300RW at 5250 RPM
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

http://www.soulcast.com/user/posts/70579       note; this is a new blogsite

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Florida, Yulee Cafe.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 08:06:46 PM »
Ahhh...  You forget you are not too far from Georgia!  I bet you know some places to get some killer pecan pie!!!!  O0
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 10:35:48 PM »
Ahhh...  You forget you are not too far from Georgia!  I bet you know some places to get some killer pecan pie!!!!  O0
Don't forget the peach cobbler!
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 07:33:01 PM »
What about sea food????  :P
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 11:55:17 PM »
You want good seafood come north we have a ton of seafood restaurants
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 07:02:46 PM »
You want good seafood come north we have a ton of seafood restaurants

Well, for seafood, I have a few favorites;
Jackie's seafood in north Jacksonville on Main Street absolutely killer portions / best buy! go for the stuffed shrimp...

Jimmy's  Dundalk section of Baltimore( best greek green beans and stuffed salmon at any price).... heck evrything is good there , its an institution! And the women are pleasant to look upon........

Shucker's, Charleston N.C. Go for the bacon wrapped stuffed shrimp...

Seafood Shanty, someplace between King of Prussia, and Paoli PA, been a long time , not sure if its still there , but will never forget the huuuge drinks(bet you cant drink two) and all you can eat crablaigs on wednesdays...

There are a lot of seafood places in Fla. Some better than others, but the above places I've listed stand out in my mind..........
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 07:25:19 PM »
"Seafood Shanty"  Egads a chain????  You goota go to New England if you think that was great!!!  :-X

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 10:18:42 PM »
"Seafood Shanty"  Egads a chain????  You goota go to New England if you think that was great!!!  :-X

It was years ago.... cant forget the huuuuge drinks... had a strong gin gimlet that had to be almost a quart! didnt know it was a chain, must have been the original?
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 07:11:39 PM »
Hummm...  I question your good taste with that one???   :duel:  Possibly your ability to taste...  Come on a chain?  What next?  Red Lobster, Arthur Treaters, Long :moe: Silver and the fish sandwich at McDonalds are all considered gourmet?   :bthrm:

:D :D :D :D

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 08:16:37 PM »
Arthur Treachers?? Haven't seen one in years!!! used to love their fish! Where?  :o ;) Where?
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 08:59:24 PM »
Hummm...  I question your good taste with that one???   :duel:  Possibly your ability to taste...  Come on a chain?  What next?  Red Lobster, Arthur Treaters, Long :moe: Silver and the fish sandwich at McDonald's are all considered gourmet?   :bthrm:

:D :D :D :D
I :miller: hope you are kidding? There is maybe a half dozen Long :moe: Silver if that and no Red Lobsters in MA Arthur Treaters last one I saw was in Quebec but a fish fillet from McDonald's as gourmet I don't think so.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 09:13:13 PM »
You know I gotta teas :jake: every now and then to keep him on his toes...    :D :D :D

Still, I am going to have to locate that Seafood Shanty and see if it is good.  Maybe then he can keep his dignity...  :boat:

Jake

• Dirt Poor Hotrodder
  • Moonshiner
  • Street Racer
  • I did it my way
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 11:47:23 PM »
Oh, pain of it all!! Holly oficially announced the Yulee cafe was closing for good Jan28th. :(   :(   >:(..............Apparently business too slow to justify paying the help.... Less snow birds here for some reason this year.... This is particularly evident in the fast lanes where there are a lot less Ontario plares blocking traffic at 5MPH below the limit. I can actually stand losing the restaraunt, if that means having to put up with less arrogant Canadians here....LOL
GVW 4340 lbs, go figure!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 12:10:49 AM »
Oh, pain of it all!! Holly oficially announced the Yulee cafe was closing for good Jan28th. :(   :(   >:(..............Apparently business too slow to justify paying the help.... Less snow birds here for some reason this year.... This is particularly evident in the fast lanes where there are a lot less Ontario plares blocking traffic at 5MPH below the limit. I can actually stand losing the restaraunt, if that means having to put up with less arrogant Canadians here....LOL
Why go to FL when it's almost 70 in MA it was like spring here today.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 06:58:57 AM »
In Fla 60 is COLD!!!  :o