birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Crankshaft & bearings  (Read 1550 times)

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
Crankshaft & bearings
« on: January 05, 2008, 11:59:55 PM »
Is it feasible to replace the crand rod & main bearings with the engine in the car?

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
Re: Crankshaft & bearings
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 10:22:38 PM »
Guess not. I was hoping it could be done though. It would be much cheaper than pulling the engine.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 01:22:58 AM »
To answer you question no. 1. Your limited to the amount of room you have in the area. 2. You do not want any dirt or foreign matter getting between the bearing surfaces.
My suggestion is to get a running 3.8 L from a salvage yard. I would mount your supercharger on the new block and install it in your supercoupe. The other thing I would do before and while the engine is out is to change the head gaskets since one the biggest problems with the 3.8L was head gaskets I think this will be the least expensive way for you to get your car running. I am doing an engine swap in my sons 98 Mustang if you can not find a motor let me no when I pull this 3.8L I'm going to replace the head gaskets and get it running again to sell it if your interested let me no. Search for one in your area first you should get one for around $350.00.  :drv:
:ralph: 
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 07:14:10 AM »
Well...  I was waiting for :freddie: to come back to come back.  He only comes on on Weekdays.   :'(

My first opinion will be that the K-member is i the way.  But lets see what our SC expert says...  :naww:
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 12:23:50 PM »
Thanks a lot. I just thought I would get an idea if it could be reasonably done. My engine has a knock when the engine starts but, maintains oil pressure in the normal range at this time. I guess I'm looking into the future. Thanks, again.

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 01:57:14 PM »
i suppose if you had a lift and a engine support to bolt to the top of the motor to hold it up you could drop the k-member....i have done similar things toy cars at the dealer.....but never main bearings and certainly not if you are working on your back.....my opinion is if you don't have to drive the car around everyday and you can let it sit then take the motor out now and move it inside to work on if you can.....or rj's solution and get a salvage unit
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

1990 Thunderbird Soupercoupe
103k miles
black on black

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 03:05:43 PM »
TO DO IN PLACE CAN BE TOUGH WITHOUT MY ENGINE BOOK :-\ :'(  :miller: HAS IT...IF YOU CAN GET THE OIL PAN DOWN AND OFF THEN IT CAN  BE DONE ::) THE UPPER,S MAY CAUSE SOME GRIEF :schh:   IN THE MEAN TIME ADD SOME LUKAS ADDITVE AND AT 15/40 WEIGTH IN THE ENGINE IT WILL CUSION THE SPACE AND STOP THE KNOCK  O0 ASA THE LUKAS WITH NOT DRAIN OFF THE MAINS  SOP FAST AND WILL STOP A DRY START 8)
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 02:27:32 AM »
I will get the Lukas additive and change the oil to 15/40. When you get your book back can you send copies of the pertinent pages/instructions. I appreciate your advice and instructions greatly!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 07:56:22 PM »
The manual you want is the one I gave you the link for.  If you bought it you are going to have the info...   ^-^
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 06:31:53 PM »
At this time I don't have the available cash to buy the manual. Hopefully I can get one at some time.