+ Interior lights/heating and cooling system  

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Interior lights/heating and cooling system  (Read 4264 times)

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
Interior lights/heating and cooling system
« on: December 31, 2007, 01:13:59 AM »
 My interior lights stay on all the time unless I remove the fuse. I have been given two possible remedies: replace the GEM module (timer), which I cannot find; replace the illumination entry system module (timer). What are your ideas and/or information?

The other day while driving down the road I smelled an odor like phenolic overheating, now my heating/cooling system doesn't work. The blower won't run. All fuses look okay. Any ideas?

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
Re: Interior lights/heating and cooling system
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 04:13:44 AM »
If you give me a little more info like the year make and model I may be able to help you.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 09:42:17 AM »
That is odd.  When my door entry light switch failed the error was illuminated on the malfunction indicator lamp control.  Here is a typical illuminated entry ee schematic:

As you can see they are not wired to the heating system.  The interior lamps are turn on and off via the two switches on your door.   The switches are located on the inside of the door latch and are a pain to get to.  The door switch is # 6 below...

I am not sure that your switch is broken or not.  Lets look at a few things:

1.  Locate your dome lamp located on the roof between the front seats.  Change the position of the interior lamp switch.  Close the door and see if they turn off.  Try for all switch positions.  Can you get the interior light to turn off?  ^-^

To help out with your heating system we need to know what kind of heater you have.  A picture of the controller will be cool...
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 12:28:44 PM »
well, kinda hard to diagnose without telling us a year/model. but heres my guess

if your dome light stays on, does your door ajar light stay on as well? is so you have a bad door ajar switch..(mostlikely)

also it sounds like you blew your blower motor resistor. usualy this still leavs the blower operable on the high setting as the high setting does not go through one of the resistor elements, but if it was had enough it could have rendered the whole unit inop and burned throgh the harness. this is especially common on chevy's.also it sounds like you blew your blower motor resistor. usualy this still leavs the blower operable on the high setting as the high setting does not go through one of the resistor elements, but if it was had enough it could have rendered the whole unit inop and burned throgh the harness. this is especially common on chevies
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

1990 Thunderbird Soupercoupe
103k miles
black on black

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 12:34:09 PM »
His profile says he has a 1994 SC.  I wonder if the dome light switch is worn or in the wrong position...   :-X
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 01:21:42 PM »
His profile says he has a 1994 SC.  I wonder if the dome light switch is worn or in the wrong position...   :-X

for some reason whenever i tyr and view anyone's profile it tells me i can't i get this message:

An Error Has Occurred!
Many apologies, but you can't view just any profile. 

i did try to look at his profile first
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

103k miles
black on black

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 10:31:33 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out.  I believe I fixed it.   O0

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 03:50:47 AM »
Its a loaded 1994 Ford Thunderbird SC. I have replaced door pin switches (by the hinges), the auto headlight switch, the instrument/interior light switch, all to no avail. I appreciate any help you guys can give me!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 07:05:47 AM »
What about the dome lamp switch?  Were you able to check it?

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out.  I believe I fixed it.   O0

yea, its fixed, thanks

but a 94 wouldn't have to door ajar switch in the latch like the newer fords would it? i'm not sure when it started but it over lapped, there would be one switch in the latch that would control the ajar and dome light and a seperate that would control the chime and that one was near the hinge...but i'm with :miller: on this one, look at that dimmer switch, maybe try to unplug it and see what happens, it may have an internal short....
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

103k miles
black on black

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 03:40:09 PM »
L have also replaced the dimmer switch without positive results. I have removed the fuse so I can continue to drive the car occasionally until I can repair the problem. I don't know where the two modules are I mentioned in my original post Can anyone help me?

Where can I find the resistor in the blower motor circuit as it was blowing full speed before it started with the burned phenolic smell going down the I 95 at 85 mph? If I can get to it I will check the wiring and replace the resistor.

Thanks for all the help you guys are giving me. I appreciate it very much.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 05:49:31 PM »
Do you have a key pad on the door?  I have the shop manual and send you the section.   :-

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 07:13:55 PM »
No, I don't have a keypad on the door. I have an after market alarm system. I do have the same illumination package though.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 08:30:41 PM »
Egads...  Replacing everything is not good...  :o

Ok, here is the whole 94/ 95 Interior Lighting Section from Freddies Shop Manual.  The papers are thin and a PITA but I copied it all...

Right click and save this link.

There is a section on what to check if the light stays on (page 17) and the timer you are looking for is mentioned on page two.  It is called the malfunction indicator lamp and it is located on the fuse junction panel which is on the lower left hand side of the lower instrument panel.  See #8 below:

Sorry about it being upside down but I have been at this for an hour and need to search for some parts.  :-\

If the above does not pan out the problem is your alarm system.

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 02:57:50 AM »
Thank you VERY much. You don't know how long I've been trying to get this problem fixed. If I can't figure it out from the information you have provided at least I have reference material to aid my mechanic in making the repairs.

Does this manual have any info on the heating/cooling system? I went from having a blower going wide open to a strange odor to no blower at all. The environmental control panel still shows external temp., when selected, and will allow the desired temp. to be selected. Changing the fan speed control switch from auto to another position is ineffective. I think the doors still open and close as I can get  some heat and defrosting due to ram air. It stops when the system is turned off. By the way, the blower motor couldn't be turned off before it stopped working.

Where can I get a copy of :freddie:'s manual? Does it cover the entire vehicle?