+ Interior lights/heating and cooling system birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Interior lights/heating and cooling system  (Read 4263 times)

KevSha

• Slot Car
Re: Interior lights/heating and cooling system
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 11:54:07 AM »
the book he is getting that info from looks like a ford EVTM manual, wich covers all the wiring in a car....there is also a Workshop Manual that covers everything else. unless you work at a ford dealer and you "borrow" some when you quit like i did, there pretty hard to find...

since you said you switched your bloer to auto i assume you have semi automatic climate control (seatc). unfortunatly they do not have a standoard resistor, i believe they have a PWM (pulse width modulate) module, and i believe if may be integrates in the control head....but it sounds as if it mat be the head itself that is the problem. i'll look into ine of my workshop manuals and see what i find
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

1990 Thunderbird Soupercoupe
103k miles
black on black

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 05:08:45 PM »
Thanks. When the blower began blowing wide open I thought it might be the head unit so I bought one thru SCCoA from a parted out car. It didn't make any difference at first. Then it began to work correctly most of the time. Then the burnt phenolic smell began while on a trip; now it doesn't work at all.

I'm not sure if its semi or full auto. You set the temp you want in the cabin and the system keeps it there by switching from heat to air as necessary. Saying that I guess its a full auto system.

Please understand that I appreciate your help very much!!  As soon as I get these  things (interior lights and heat/cooling) I will attack the fuel mileage (12 mpg, down from 15).

All of the electrical problems began with  my son putting the battery in backwards when preparing to take the car out of storage to get the  car ready for a short trip.

Thanks again for your help.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 07:04:47 PM »
the book he is getting that info from looks like a ford EVTM manual, wich covers all the wiring in a car....there is also a Workshop Manual that covers everything else. unless you work at a ford dealer and you "borrow" some when you quit like i did, there pretty hard to find...

Not really.  It is Freddies Ford Service Manual.  For some years after the car was built anyone could get one from Ford.  Based on on demand they pop in and out of print.  After a few years of waiting until I was able to pick on up for my 55 Ford.  There are three (3) on e-bay.  Get one while you can!!!   :D :D

The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 02:58:42 AM »
Thanks.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 07:26:22 AM »
It is our pleasure...   :) With the semi-automatic temperature control system either the blower motor, SATC control assembly or the blower speed controller are bad.  If Kev does not beat me to the punch line, I will have some tests for you tonight.   :o
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 12:07:08 PM »
...... blower speed controller .....

thats where i'm putting my money, it probably behind the glove compartment in the plenum. the workshop manual i have is for a 96, but the interior and the HVAC should all be the same.....but since Jdot has the correvt year i think i'll let hime give you some ideas first

as for your milage, when is the last time you changed your air filter/fuel filter. maybe try using a drop in K&N style filter....muscle mustangs and fast fords recently had and article where they put one one those in a SC on a dyno and saw in increase in hp and max boost. might give you some mpg too. also try cleaning your maf with some electrical contact cleaner.

i just blew the head gaskets in my 3.8 so i had everything apart so i just changed everything and cleaned all the intake  ports, the heads, new plugs, took the injestors off the rail and cleaned them all. now not only does mt 3.8 with 175k miles on it run like its brand new, i also get great gas milage
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

1990 Thunderbird Soupercoupe
103k miles
black on black

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 08:17:26 PM »
The semi-automatic temperature control SATC is located on the instrument panel and controls the AC system.

The pulse width modulator blower speed controller is located on the A/C evaporator housing, at the passengers side of the evaporator assembly.  You have to open the glove compartment door to get to it.

I agree with Kevin that the speed controller could be the problem.  It has cooling fins and would be most the most likely thing to cause a bad smell..   >:D

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 11:48:36 PM »
Would you ,by chance, have the part number for blower speed controller?

This is, I'm sure, a stupid question but, I have to ask it; is it easily seen and gotten to after the glove box is removed? I ask that because of arthritis of the spine.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 10:10:41 AM »
No questions are stupid here!

Ford says it is p/n 19E624.  However, Ford likes to change part numbers so a new p/n may differ.  Here is the installation and removal instructions:

;D

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 10:19:47 PM »
Thank you!! I will get one from Auto Zone, hopefully, install it and hope it is the answer.

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 06:29:57 PM »
J now have a problem getting the door closed, driver's side. Actually, the door won't close and latch all the way. Of course, the door ajar light is now on. I think my car is disintegrating before my eyes.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 07:02:18 AM »
 :doh: If you lift it will it close?

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 06:44:01 PM »
Haven' tried that yet but, I will tomorrow. Thanks!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 07:00:06 AM »
I ask the question because i am trying to decide wether or the hinge or the hinge pin needs replacement.   ^-^

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 12:06:04 PM »
If the doors have any movement up or down the hinge pins and bushing need to be replaced. The sagging door would cause the striker to be misaligned and cause damage to the striker and latch mechanism. As J.:miller: suspects this is could cause your problem with the door ajar light. It is easy to replace the door hinge pins and bushings. Here is the a link to the lower kit http://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=284 the upper pins and bushing are at auto zone or advanced autoparts in there help section.
Ralp.h
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.