It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Interior lights/heating and cooling system  (Read 4523 times)

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
Re: Interior lights/heating and cooling system
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 03:02:31 PM »
MAKE SURE TAKE THE DOOR MECHANISM HAS NOT ROTATED DOWN IN THE CLOSE POSITION :doh: IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE A OPEN V   :o IF IT ROTATED DOWN, THE BODY POST CANNOT ENGAGE ...ALSO A CHEAP FIX IF THE DOOR IS SAGGING  :D  :o LOOSEN THE LOWER HINGE PLATE ON THE CAR SIDE :doh: NOT THE DOOR :nono: JACK UP THE BOTTOM OF DOOR UNTIL THERE IS A SPACE BEHIND THE BRACKET AND THE CAR FRAME  :'( REMOVE  ONE BOLT AT A TIME  :wacko: SLIDE A WASHER BETWEEN  THEM PUSH BOLT INTO WASHER TO SHIM DOOR UP  :-\ USE ONE AT A TIME   :-\ ONCE YOU HAVE IT SET    8) REMOVE NEXT BOLT DO SAME  :naww:  MAY NEED 2 OR MORE NO MORE THAN 3   :D AS THE BOLT MAY NOT BE LONG ENOUGH TO GET A FULL THREAD  :schh: WORKS FOR ME O0
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »
I am unable to lift the door sufficiently to completely close it. However, I could lift the door to check for movement up/down by lifting the end of the door. There is a good bit of movement. Would it be better to rebuild it or get a used one from Pick and Pull? Does anyone have the instructions to remove the door and re-install the door once the hinges are rebuilt? ( I assume whomever I buy the rebuild kit from will provide instructions to do the rebuild, if I go that way)

Thanks for the hrads up. I would have never thought to gcheck the door hinges. I have never had a car that wore out its hinges. I had a 1964 ? Cadillac Eldorado with 230,000 miles on it and the door hinges were fine. The doors were much larger, too.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 09:00:26 PM »
If you go to a pick and pull you may end up with the same problem since this is a very common problem with Tbirds and Cougars. I would start with the bottom hinges the kit that comes from SCP has instruction to complete the job.
:ralph:
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008, 02:36:45 AM »
Thanks. When I get the money I will get the kit. Does Auto Zone sell the bottom kit too?

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008, 07:31:08 AM »
They sell the pins and bushing not the roller that allows the door to be open half way or all the way open. But the most important is the plastic tube that is a part of the striker this piece keeps the door latch from rattling. I would also be careful if you decide to decide to temporarily adjust the doors shimming the hinges can throw out other body lines or cause binding between fender and door. The lower hinge is the easy one to get to the upper one is the hardest having bolts inside the A post up in the dash.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2008, 09:28:38 AM »
I found a nice tech article on how to replace the door hinge pins and bushings here:

http://home.insightbb.com/~embalmers/hinges.htm
 :clap:
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 12:17:31 AM »
Thanks, again. I should be able to handle the rebuild now.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 08:25:30 AM »
No Problem.  You do not mind if I split this thread into multiple topics.  That way if someone is looking for information in the future it would be easier to find the interior lights, AC and the door problems in their own threads?   ^-^
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 03:47:44 PM »
Not a problem for me is long as I can still find the info for later use.

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2008, 02:22:30 PM »
I was finally able to get blower motor control and get it into my car!! Finally===heat and, most likely, A/C!!  Thanks for the correct information.  I have been able to get a Ford 1994 Shop Manual, too. Maybe I can stop asking silly questions now. PROBABLY NOT, THOUGH.  Thanks again. :afto2:

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2008, 02:29:14 PM »
I have started to have a miss after the check engine light comes on, but runs OK when the light is on. I don't know when the plugs, wires, and O2 sensors were last changed. That will be my next chore. Thanks Kev Sha. :afto2:

jmoore1540

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2008, 02:37:22 PM »
I'm waiting for warmer weather to rebuild the lower hing on the driver side door. As soon as I can buy a Integrated Control Module and rebuild the hinge I'm hoping that fixes the illumination package problem!  Thanks to all for your help.  P.S.  I have replaced the blower motor spped control and everything works as advertised now!! :afto2: