Tezza > Auto Tech

O2 Sensors.........

(1/3) > >>

Jake:

Some thoughts on O2 sensors;
 Basically there are 2  on each bank , before (upstream), and after (downstream),the converter. The downstream ones arent critical.... they just tell you the cats are working or not (MIL ) The upstream ones are  the ones that give you fuel trims , and run the car in closed loop. Per Lonnie Doll, who is arguably one of the best practical tuners of Fords in the world, by his own admission, you should ALLWAYS use OEM Ford  O2 sensors ...... Well lets modify that some , and say at least on the upstream ones, and be doubly sure that they are the exact calibration for your model and year.   I would not try to use  Autozone or advanced auto one size fits all ("But theyre very good Bosch sensors!") as the upstream sensors ...
Now, you frequently can clean them and get a better performance , and xtra miles out of them. You need to use a LP torch ,like a Bernz o Matic.... but no hotter torches as there is risk of damageing the  sensors. There is a "basket " around the actual sensor to protect it. Usually there is black soot on the basket... mine had a rusty orange
coating. Never saw that before, hmmmm? must have been some of the crappy gas I have seen around here lately (too much sulfur) , or possibly some leaded gas in the system alomng the line? Anyhow I carefully set the torch to a slightly smaller , rounded blue flame , and gingerly passed the sensors basket over it, till it just started glowing a dull red, then moved on to 'anudder' spot, beinbg careful to not over heat the thing...bright red is kinda much. Heres a before pic

Heres an after pic

Was there a difference? you bet yer A55!! before it was kinda flat feeling, now sharper reaction to throttle , stronger, and more POWER!! the butt 0 meter said outstanding! My guess, no codes , about 30 K on the sensors, would have lit up in a few thousand more, now I think maybe 10 to 20000 miles more of service , and abetter performing car to boot.

Jake:
Addendum: the first  tank after the the sensors were cleaned went up from 12.8 to 14.2 mpg... considering I blew thru about a half of that tank before cleaning, that shows a significant gain.... More, later...............

J dot Miller:
I do not know how many times people have blamed idle problems on the Idle Air Control valve when in fact it was the O2 sensor.  Yea, the O2 sensor is hard to get to but it should be cleaned every now and then...  :o

Jake:
Hard to get to? My custom exhaust system was designed for even me to pop them out in a heartbeat... 8)

(note; when building a custom exhaust, you can actually put the things in a convenient place even though it doesn't conform to ford engineering and design  practices) ;D

rjstat:

--- Quote from: J.:miller: on December 10, 2006, 11:17:13 AM ---I do not know how many times people have blamed idle problems on the Idle Air Control valve when in fact it was the O2 sensor.  Yea, the O2 sensor is hard to get to but it should be cleaned every now and then...  :o

--- End quote ---
My nephew called and wanted me to look at his car stalling at a traffic lights or at idle 95 Crown Vic 4.6L first thing I did was to check for vacuum leaks none check the IAC still was not sure keep stalling for the fun of it I wanted to check his plugs. I pulled the front plug on each side one was lean other was fowled so we got a fresh set of plugs I then removed his o2 sensors and did the :jake: method to clean them an it worked I was sure that it was going to bed the IAC but he was dumping so much gas into bank 1 he was not get a complete burn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version