It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: vames 89 thunderbird sc motor info  (Read 4234 times)

Eric1

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
vames 89 thunderbird sc motor info
« on: January 18, 2008, 09:11:11 PM »
the motor is a 3.8 liter with supercharger
what was done .
the engine was completely rebuilt everything was blueprinted to ford stock specs the only change was the motor was bored 30 over
everthing is new and in stock specs.
pistons,
cam,
lifters,
valves,
rings ,
bearings, etc  it also has arp head bolts and rod bolts.

my question for anyone is how much power differnce is there by port and polish of the supercharger compaired to putting on a smaller pulley ? what im looking for is more show quality than alot more horse power but some extra horse power would be nice any ideas anyone?   thanks eric

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
Re: vames 89 thunderbird sc motor info
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 06:08:44 AM »
When you port and polish a intake or a supercharger what you are doing is increasing the cfm (air flow capacity) in the passages the polish is to reduce the turbulence in that passage. As to how much horse power depend on the amount of flow threw the air induction system. I have a few Mustang guys who have done there supercharges and said they where happy having it done and noticed a difference.
I'm in the process of rebuilding 4.6L with a 03 Cobra heads and intake along with the .30 bore the heads are being ported and polished and will be flow checked (I will post numbers when heads are complete) the lower half of the intake is being port matched and polish the supercharger sitting on top is a 3.4 Whipple. So do I think it will make a difference yes I do.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

Eric1

• Limited Edition
  • Slot Car
concern on supercharger and tunning motor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 11:43:20 AM »
i have a concern about the 89 thunderbird sc supercharger .i just spoke to the guy who is installing the motor
he told me if the supercharger is ported its going to take alot of time and effort to tune the motor. i dont want to cause more trouble for this guy to do the tunning, also its going to cost a bit more money .also
remember im mainly looking for show car not as much power i need points for the car shows and want to keep the stock apperance any help                   
                                                   eric

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: concern on supercharger and tunning motor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 01:55:56 PM »
I was talking tio Fred  :) die today and he says it will be a non issue.  I lost him because I think his cell phone died.  But he said:

Quote from: Fred  :) die
30 over with stock engine
"S" port SC is a good idea
DIS heat sink (needed for all SC's)
You will need 94/ 95 SC fuel injectors and fuel pump for your job (** if you want them to look stock you can always paint the ends ** J.Mil  :king: ler edit)
8" auto Fan on IC.  This is required for all SC's if you keep the AC.  Get a chrome one.
Remove air silencer under air box (in fender well).
Will work with stock EEC

I was going to ask him about the pulleys but we lost the connection.

Some of my recommendations:
The more you chrome plate the better.
The rigid black plastic air box can be chrome plated.  So can the radiator fan shroud, strut covers and etc.  They will not quote without seeing the part.  Call them at 850-562-0538 to make sure they are still in business and send the parts here  http://www.customcoatings.net/
Make sure you keep the hardware and rubber grommets.

Get an aluminum radiator or have the top of the radiator powder chrome plated.  We have a shop locally that did a great job on my car.
The black radiator return elbow should be chromed.
Replace the top radiator hose with a braided chrome hose.
So should the pulleys.

You can get a "show" chrome plated stock alternator here:  http://www.pa-performance.com/Scripts/default.asp

When all is said and done the flexible black rubber intake tube will look out of place.  We can cover it or replace it or wait and see later.

Chrome wire loom covers are a must.

Here is your competition:

:king:
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 02:42:32 PM »
Here is my preliminary chrome plan:

1. Chrome plate.
2. Plastic chrome plate.
3.  Flexible chrome.
?.  Undecided.
 8)

The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 03:05:25 PM »
We are now looking at the following mods:
DIS heat sink (needed for all SC's)
8" auto Fan on IC.  This is required for all SC's if you keep the AC.  Get a chrome one.
Remove air silencer under air box (in fender well).
Will work with stock EEC

Using stock pulleys will be required.  As with porting the SC, the pulleys (spin the SC faster) will increase power and require larger fuel injectors when operated at higher RPM's.  Aluminum pulleys can be used since they weigh less.

Here is a kit for the belt tensioner.

Fred  :) die did recommend to Replace the stock harmonic balancer with a BJH rmonic balancer since they are prone to break off and require major work to replace.  You can get them at spinning wheel SC.  They come as bare metal.  Powder coating is not recommended.  I would paint them with Eastwood's almost chrome.  It is not an easy install. I will let :freddie: explain.

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 04:38:12 PM »
THR BJH BALANCER WILL HAVE INSTRUCTIONS  :clap: IT MAY NEED TO BE HONED A FEW 1000THS ALSO  :schh: SHOULD GET A LONGER BOLT TO FASTEN  :P  GO TO WWW.CARZTUFF.COM FOR SOME S.S. UNDER HOOD PARTS AND ALSO DOOR SILLS   ::)  THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE BACKPRESSURE DOWN :schh:  ALSO THE S.S. MULTI LAYER HEAD GASKETS ARE A MUST THEY ARE MADE FOR THE 4.2 TRUCK MOTORS FEL PRO  # 261199 PT BUT HERE ARE THE STANGS FROM WWW.ROCKAUTO.COM # 297-9263PT AND 297-9262 PT HEADS MUST BE MILLED R6 ??? IF THE MOTOR IS DONE FOR GET ABOUT IT :-\ WILL BE AROUND TO ANSWER YOUR ????,S :doh:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:01:38 PM by FASTFREDDIE »
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 07:13:44 AM »
The good braided Stainless steel hose covers can be found here 
http://www.showoffstainless.com/

So Eric what is the game plan for this engine?  Are you going all out Chrome or what?  Inquiring minds want to know,,,  :king: