birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Sunroof sagging on Thunderbirds does not close/ stop all the way  (Read 1660 times)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Sunroof sagging on Thunderbirds does not close/ stop all the way
« on: February 06, 2008, 05:14:47 PM »
Last weekend I was visiting fastfred  :) die :curley: and three of his Thunderbirds have sagging roofs.  Here are pictures of the problem (I may have taken pictures of two of them).

So i ask him if he noticed and he said that they were always like that.  I said no no my Cougar does not look like that.  My Cougar being a much better built car has the sunroof parallel with the roof of the car.  Now that you are parking your cars on a slight incline the rain water will go between the sun roof and the inside of the car.  Then when it gets cold it will freeze, causing all kinds of problems.

Bad :curley: bad!!!!!   :banhm:

Now now be a good boy and fix them...   :wink:

The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Sunroof sagging on Thunderbirds does not close/ stop all the way
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:04:01 PM »
Here is how to fix them:

1. Put the sunroof/moonroof nearest to the "closed" position as you can get it.

2. Open the access panel (it pulls down from the forward part and is hinged in the back), and make sure you pull on it from towards the front of the access panel.

3. If you take a look at it now, the cam that has a notch in it, probably does not align with the microswitch, which this is why you are having a problem. This procedure will fix that. My microswitch was blue:  Take the two bolts out that hold the motor assembly to the top of the car.

4. Remove the motor from the spline and let it hang from the power wires.

5. Make sure the ignition switch is in the right position to have power to the sunroof and then toggle the sunroof/moonroof switch (use the "open" side of the switch, not the "vent" side) until you hear it stop (the cam is notched over the microswitch).

6. Install the sunroof motor assembly, it should work fine now.

7. Reinstall the access panel.
 :bowa:

referance Michael Mattix
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:15:08 PM »
 :Bmoon: :freddie:  :pilot: :miller: is correct on this one my Cougar has no sag in it. :afto2:
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 02:39:14 PM »
COUGAR IS AFTER MARKET :lunie: NOT A FORD INSTALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 04:14:12 PM »
Who told you that? Sunroof was a factory option it uses the exact roof glass and mechanism and motor.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 04:18:31 PM »
SORRY BUT IT,S A " GM " INSTALL :D
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!