It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: A quickie guide in using the correct color antifreeze!  (Read 12278 times)

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
A quickie guide in using the correct color antifreeze!
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:03:38 AM »
Whatever you do you never never never put GM Dex-Cool into a 89-97 Thunderbird!  :'(

The owners name of the above picture is not given to protect the innocent!  >:D

Colors (Dyes to distinguish types):

Types of Antifreeze:
  • Conventional - Green/Yellow antifreeze contains silicates, phosphates and / or borates as corrosion inhibitors to keep the solution alkaline. This is called Inorganic Additive Technology (IAT).  European car makers like VW specify coolant additives lacking in phosphates and including borates and low silicates because their water is harder and it reacts with phosphates to create aluminum phosphate or calcium and magnesium deposits.
  • Organic Acid Technology (OAT) or Extended Life Antifreeze Coolant (XLC or ELC) antifreeze contains neutralized organic acids (organic acid salts) that protect engine parts from corrosion. These include Havoline® XLC, GM's Dex-Cool® (also manufactured by Texaco) and VW's G12.  Honda has an extended-life OAT coolant that is dyed dark green and does not contain 2-EHA.  OAT includes such ingredients as sebacate (Toyota & Honda), 2-ethylhexanoic acid (2-EHA) and other organic acids, but no silicates or phosphates (except in the case of Toyota's pink extended-life coolant, which adds a dose of phosphate to its extended-life OAT-based antifreeze).  Organic inhibitors do not deplete as quickly as the inorganic inhibitors used in conventional coolants.
  • Hybrid OAT (HOAT) coolants, such as "Zerex G-05®" Use organic acids, but not 2-EHA (2-ethylhexanoic acid) (different organic acids are used). Hybrid OAT coolants add some silicate to provide quick-acting protection for aluminum surfaces. Silicate also helps repair surface erosion caused by cavitation in the water pump. Hybrid OAT coolants are currently used by many European vehicle manufacturers (BMW, Mercedes & Volvo) as well as Ford and Chrysler. Toyota adds some phosphate to their hybrid.
???

For newer cars we recommend to carry at least two types of coolant for various applications:

1)  You need DEX-COOL/OAT type for GM, Saturn, Saab, VW, and Asian applications.  Zerex Long Life 5/150 is DEX-COOL type, dyed orange and is factory fill with Opel in Europe.

2)  HOAT/hybrid G-05 for new Ford, Chrysler, and European applications like Mercedes. G-05 can also be used in heavy-duty applications like Cummins, Deere, or DDC/MTU. It can also be used to replace green coolant in older cars. Zerex G-05 is dyed yellow to aid application crossover. Given these

After 2002 Ford changed to HOAT and makes it clear that you are not to use the red stuff in their cars.  I plan to keep it simple and use the good old fashioned yellow Prestone in my 1997 and older Fords.  Who knows, people just may think I am driving a Mercedes!
 O0 :afto2:

Referance: Donald McBride, Universal Coolants at aa1car.com, Coolant Color and its Significance, 2003, at valvoline and various others.
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most don’t think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
Re: A quickie guide in using the correct color antifreeze!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 02:37:30 PM »
I THOUGH JW :wink: OR COLD TURKEY  :flex: WOULD BE OK :-[
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 04:09:40 PM »
I like JD myself  :alchol:
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
I like JD myself  :alchol:
  FIRST BARREL :first: OR GENLEMEN JACK  :second: JD :Third:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 05:36:37 PM »
Double barrel!!!   :flex:
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most don’t think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM