birth

It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Crank case pressure??  (Read 1118 times)

KevSha

• Slot Car
Crank case pressure??
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:20:01 PM »
well, the other day i am driving my SC and it make a strange noise at high rpm under load, almost like a rattle... i am diving home and i have the heat on and i smell oil... like the smell you ger if the oil cap is off of a hot engine... i get home and it looks like oul has blown out the dipstick tube... my first thought "oh no, headgaskets" but i don't really see any signs of coolant in the oil and vice versa. so i sleep on it and go out in the morning... check the dipstick, oil is low, just under the thatched area on the stick, but oil is fine, a little dark but its time for an oil change anyway. so driving to work....same smell, but no rattle....?  does not run hot, oi pressure is steady.. maybe too much crank case pressure, blowing out the dipstick, baybe a CATconverter going bad causing more back pressure and increacing crank case pressure...?
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

1990 Thunderbird Soupercoupe
103k miles
black on black

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
Re: Crank case pressure??
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 10:24:19 AM »
Sounds like you have a crankcase ventilation system problem.  Check your PCV valve make sure it is working.  Check the PCV hose for leaks/ plugging.  Check the vacuum connections to the block and make sure they are working.  :o
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

KevSha

• Slot Car
Re: Crank case pressure??
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:45:23 AM »
update: well, i looked under the hood....the breather that goes from the dvr side valve cover to the intake was capped off at the aintake tube and the tube that goes across the motor... fixed that and removed the pcv valve, its not clogged and flows fine... oil looked alittle thin, changed the oil and this time i went with 10w-30 motorcraft synthetic blend rather than the factory rec 5w30. everything seems good, running strong and no oil out the dipstick tube
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

1990 Thunderbird Soupercoupe
103k miles
black on black