It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: head gaskets!!!  (Read 1673 times)

KevSha

• Slot Car
head gaskets!!!
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:21:07 AM »
hell, now i'm 2 for 2, blew the heasgaskets in mt SC, thankfully i now have the white car to fall back on, but more importantly i have time to work on the sc now and build it stronger... will be getting the stud kit from SCP, :freddie:, do you have any suggestions on what kind of head gasket to use? i want to build it to be bullit proof, seeing as i will mostlikely not be pumpung much more boost into it
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

1990 Thunderbird Soupercoupe
103k miles
black on black

FASTFREDDIE

• FAST FREDDIE A.K.A. THUNDERROAD
  • Nascar
  • I own 6 T-Birds! NEED 1 MORE HAVE 1 FOR EACH DAY
Re: head gaskets!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 02:28:28 PM »
THEY ARE MLT ONES MADE FOR THE 4.2 S.S :first:  THE #,S CAN BE FOUND AT SCCOA SITE SEARCH UNDER HEADGASETS :pilot: HOPE THIS HELPS :clap:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:21:48 PM »
Bad :freddie: bad...  You should search for him!   :hide:

They recommend Felpro "permatorque" coated MLS gasket for the 98 Mustang 3.8. Part Numbers: PN 9262PT and 9263PT.   These are the only gaskets where all the cooling passages match up correctly with the OE SC gasket. 

Stock head gasket:

3.8 perma torque gasket:

The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 06:16:26 AM »
Do not forget to address the root cause of the head gasket issue.  If you have not done so you can reduce the chance of them going as often if you eliminate your stock resonators and ease the back pressure on the engine. :drv:
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 12:02:47 PM »
well, as for the root cause, they are still the factory ones, and if thier not, they have been in there for quite a few years. i have an aftermarket resonator because i have the flowmaster cat back system (inclused the resonator and everything behind it) i also intend to send the heads out to be inspected and resurfaced.

basically i am not going to be running much more boost through the motor, maybe i'll put a pulley on it, but i want to build it to be strong do i don't have to worry much about blowing them again....thats why i am sending the heads out on this car and i didn't on my white car. thats why i am going to buy the stud kit and why i don't want to get the ford head gaskets on this one...
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

103k miles
black on black

FASTFREDDIE

• Nascar
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 01:26:05 PM »
THE BIGGIST PROBLEM  :D IS THE HEADS NEED TO BUT DECKED { CUT } YOU THE NEED SPECS  :nono:  AS THE BLOCK AND HEADS MOVE AT DIFFERENT TEMPS  :embr:  DUE TO THE DIFFERENT METALS  :help:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 02:25:52 PM »
well, i AM cutting the heads, i'm sending them out to be re-done. is there anything special i should give the machine shop??
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

103k miles
black on black

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 04:56:15 PM »
i e-mailed bill over at scp and this is what he said:

Hi Kevin,
The Mustang head gaskets are fine, but so are the ones that we typically sell in our Felpro set.  I don't see any advantage with one over the other.  Both can blow out under extreme boost condition but you have already said that you don't plan to go crazy, so either should be a huge improvement over the factory gaskets.

and i have been reading that if you use the MLS gaskets you need to have the block resurfaced too or they will not seal correctly??

thoughts?
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

103k miles
black on black

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 08:26:34 PM »
If your head gaskets blow you need to have your head resurfaced as :curley: says.  That has been the same since the beginning of time...   :o

Bill and I  go back a few years.  He is correct.  The difference between Felpro "permatorque" MLS and plane jane MLS gaskets is the coating.  Some say with the coated version you need 90 micro inch RA surface finish.  Other say that the surface has to be cleaned.  To me that means it needs to be machined.  Then again, some say copper spray can do wonders.   :joys:

Is it worth the $$, only if you got the cash.  If you do not, get he less expensive Felpro un-coated gaskets.   ::)

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 08:40:49 PM »
well, i am going to do the heads, but i don't have the cash for the block, so i guess i should just get the felpro uncoated right? should still be plenty stronger than stock, correct??
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

103k miles
black on black

FASTFREDDIE

• Nascar
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 10:38:16 AM »
YES, MINE ARE OVER 5YEARS WITH NO PROBLEMS  :pilot: NEWER TYPE LAST LONGER :doh:
LETS GO CRUISING!!!!