It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

Author Topic: Help with changeing a tranny valve body  (Read 1010 times)

MR95XR7

• Match Box
  • Powerd by motorcraft
Help with changeing a tranny valve body
« on: December 14, 2006, 01:45:00 PM »
I was hoping some one can give me a heads up on how hard is it to either fix or replace a tranny valve body in a 4r70w, I had the cat jacked up today checking on heat shield cause there was a loud rattle humming noise coming from under car thought it was the h/s but when i checked nope but i felt the tranny pan and it was vibrating like crazy. so can some one give me a heads up. 
                                                           thanks SAL.
"Alive man is pliable and weak
dead man is firm and strong"
 - SUN PIN.

rjstat

• Semper Fi
  • Drag Racer
Re: Help with changeing a tranny valve body
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 04:37:05 PM »
Sal I hope this will help you out I could not find anything with rattling in valve body.
Removal

Disconnect the battery ground cable. NOTE : When the battery has been disconnected or reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy.
Raise vehicle on a hoist.
Drain transmission fluid.

Remove 14 pan retaining bolts, transmission pan and pan-to-case gasket. Clean and inspect pan to case gasket.

Remove pan magnet. Clean transmission pan and pan magnet.

Using both hands, remove filter by pulling downward. CAUTION: If installing a new filter, and grommet remains in the main control bore, carefully use a small screwdriver to remove the grommet. Use care not to damage the main control bore. NOTE: If transmission is being serviced for a contamination-related failure, use a new filter and grommet. The filter may be reused if no excessive contamination is present.

Grasp connector at each solenoid or sensor and pull straight out to disconnect. CAUTION: Do not pull on wires. This may damage wires or connector and could result in a transmission concern. If required, carefully pry up on locking tab and disconnect the connector.
Remove one bolt retaining manual control valve detent lever spring to the main control valve body.

Remove electronic pressure control (EPC) solenoid bracket retaining bolt. Remove bracket.

Remove remaining 24 valve body-to-case retaining bolts, the main control valve body and the valve-to-body gasket.
97 - 4.6L Alpine Green Cougar XR-7 w/ Fiber Concepts Hood, SPC cold air intake, 2.5 SLP Dual Exhaust, Eclipse CD4000 w/ Polk's speakers, Koni Shocks, 11/4" Addco sway bars, and Vogtland more to come.
08 Volvo XC90 loaded.

J dot Miller

• Show Car
  • Nascar
    • The Cougar Roar!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 07:03:27 PM »
The best valve body to get is from 1999-2000 4R70W Mustang or CrownVic.  If you find one in a junk yard, 98 & up transmissions have black bulkhead, 99 has new square MLPS, converter 10-5/8 center to center.
 :-X
The 5.4 swap has been called a bad idea, and considered an underpowered considerable waste of time, since 2007.

Nice to see that most donít think that anymore.
Bondfreak13 07/28/09 09:05 PM

KevSha

• Slot Car
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 10:45:01 PM »
do you have any other drivability concerns other than the rattle? its not often you get something like you are describing. in fact, even if something was in the trans pan it would be suspended in trans fluid and the (normaly) minute vibrations generated at idle would not even be able to shake the trans enough to make any kind of rattle sound.

i would take a step back and check the condition of your fluid first. if the car shifts and drives fine then i doubt you have a problem with your valve body. the only thing that i can really think of off hand that could fall off of it and not affect shift quality. possibly the filter, but again, it would be suspended in ATF and should not rattle like that.

you can also check the trans mounts, perhaps they have gone bad and the rattle you are hearing in the pan is just being transfered from the bad mount.
96 Thunderbird LX 3.8
new head gaskets
daily driver

1990 Thunderbird Soupercoupe
103k miles
black on black